Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings all,

I am looking at a 2005 Hobie, which has been used as a rental. The forward tramp is destroyed and gone. The main tramp sits outside in the weather. It shows a lot of wear and discoloration (fading?), and in addition there is a 1/4 inch hole towards the middle and stern. It has the older style metal rudder locks, which appear to me to be better but if they are then why did Hobie switch them out for the new design I wonder. Perhaps it is for ease of use? Originally asking $5k but I believe this is negotiable with the wear and tear on it. A 2011 Hobie with wings is around 8.5k so the temptation to go get one new is big. I don't want to buy a headache and money-pit. I am contacting local Hobie retailer to find out how much a new tramp, or repairs to one, would be.

Hoping that some experienced folks here can lend me their experience with this. Thanks in advance!

~Ready to sail!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My first impression, having just sold my Getaway is that 5k seems like a lot for a Getaway of that age that was used as a rental. If you can get it for less and do buy it, first check the mast track on the comptip and the bond between the comptip and the aluminum extrusion to ensure it is ok as that can be expensive to fix. Check the condition of the sails too. If they are original they are probably in rough shape from being used every day. Standing rigging could be due for replacement too. Check sheets, travellers, blocks and halyards for jury-rigged fixes... I've seen a few on rentals in the islands.

Cheers,
Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jamoulto wrote:
My first impression, having just sold my Getaway is that 5k seems like a lot for a Getaway of that age that was used as a rental. If you can get it for less and do buy it, first check the mast track on the comptip and the bond between the comptip and the aluminum extrusion to ensure it is ok as that can be expensive to fix. Check the condition of the sails too. If they are original they are probably in rough shape from being used every day. Standing rigging could be due for replacement too. Check sheets, travellers, blocks and halyards for jury-rigged fixes... I've seen a few on rentals in the islands.

Cheers,
Jeff

Thank you very much for your input, much appreciated. I'm currently waiting for a decent day, one which includes above a 10 mph wind, to take it out for a test. Unfortunately I am unsure about the "mast track on the comptip and the bond between the comptip and the aluminum extrusion" advice. However I will research it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On a couple of the rentals I sailed on in St. Maarten the comptip had slid down into the aluminum extrusion causing the end of the aluminum to split and the comptip and sail track to chip or crack. Realistically this was just negligent maintenance - if it is caught early, it could be reglued or rivets added to prevent further slipping at the connection. I don't think this is a problem on many boats if they have been maintained, but it could be easy to overlook as you can't see it unless it is really severe while the mast is up and it would be expensive to fix if you discovered it a few weeks after buying the boat.

I apologize I made a typo in my earlier post, I meant the sail or luff track (not mast track). I sailed on one Getaway where the sail track was cracked and the sail was pulling out under way. By the time I got back to the beach about 80% of the luff off the sail had pulled out of the comptip portion of the mast. This probably isn't overly expensive to fix, but it would be a headache.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with the fact that 5K is a lot for a boat in that condition. Seems more like a 2-3K boat. I'd go for the new one....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you both for your posts. I thought too that while the Hobie out to hold its value well, that 5k, even 4k, seemed a bit high considering the usage/care of the boat.

Waiting for some decent wind still, darn you July/August, so I can sail and look over all the rigging and sails more closely. I was told the jib is new, but had not yet seen it.

I will probably have to ask them to bring the mast down for me so I can take a close look at it too, from what I read here.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

5k is way too much...make sure you check out all the rigging and the mast...i'd say 2-3k at the most...