Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like to see this system also. Still curious and would like to put a motor on the PA.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TGF, do you think you could post the photos that Jimmy d sent to you so we all can see?....Regards.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's the shots everyone wants to see. You would think the guys at Bassyaks would have pictures this nice on their site. Guess they don't want to sell many units to PA owners. The company has a great looking product, but no final out the door $$$ price yet. Just from the 2 photos, I see 12 holes in the PA just for the mount and power. Did not get any photos of the steering or control unit, but these will answer a lot of questions.

Here's the same mount with the $$$Torqueeedoooo

Everyone has seen my no holes $300 rig a bunch of times, but here it is again to have many options in one post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jimmy d wrote:
Hey Guys,
First I am a PA owner the 46# of thrust seems to be plenty of power ,I weigh 270lbs .The EM unit is really a pulse width modulation module which pulses the current to the motor which increases battery run time greatly over regular straight current which is constant. the lift unit allows raising or lowering motor from seated position .I really like this setup I have a Pm-2 platinum sears battery same frame as the oddesy 1500. I will take some pics as soon as I can

Hi Jim, just need to know how much running time you have at cruising speed with your present electrical setup you have. Many thanks in advance. Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Capjimy,
I really haven't ran it straight motor yet,as I like to use my sail a lot.This weekend I'll try to get some numbers for you

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jimmy d wrote:
Capjimy,
I really haven't ran it straight motor yet,as I like to use my sail a lot.This weekend I'll try to get some numbers for you

Great Jim, l'll be anxiously waiting. Haven't got a PA yet and l won't untill l find a propulsion system that fills the bill, right now l'm liking bassyaks but am also waiting for Toms idea to be presented . Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Remote, EM, and Foot Steering. The total now is 22 holes in the PA for this install, but it is a complete system that works with a PA under $1000.

Last edited by TeamGeauxFish on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What brand of rudder pedals are those?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's part of the Bassyaks system. They make the complete system, and do not split the package.

I asked them about just the mount, but they want to sell the complete system. Since it's the only thing currently on the market (TOM???), they can really do what they want.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Actually, it is NOT the only system out there. There is a company called LightPreformanceWorks and they manufacture systems for kayaks. They look like they could be made to fit a PA and their price is $299.00 +Shipping+handling. Google LPWKayakProducts There are photos and info there. There is also a page of instructions on the installation of a system on a Prowler. Regards.....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The system is $299. for a Rudder/Bracket, you supply the motor.

With a motor you're at $500+ and have to figure out how to make it work.

I just know any day now, Tom is going to post his official product and where we can send our money for his system.

Until then here is another photo of another system that is not ready for PA use. Some ideas are good from every system, but there has yet to be something
that we can all agree on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TGF; In your top 2 photos, what is the little black attachment to the right side of the rudder steering hatch?? (just forward of where the power cable enters the hull) Regards....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That little black attachment is a pulley for my sail system

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Definately like the look of the bassyaks kit for the PA but not keen on drilling so many holes for the motor mount, steering cables, lift kit etc. I have seen no hole transom motor mounts for the PA from members on this site elsewhere but has anyone investigated the possibility of using the original steering system to steer an electric motor as well possibly as an alternative to drilling no (or less) holes in the yak?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can use the original system for steering in conjunction with a fixed trolling motor, however be advised that your turning radius will be reduced by some amount. How much so depends on how much of a pseudo keel you stick in the water behind it. If you employ a regular trolling motor, it becomes a keel of sorts and will reduce your turning radius versus what you have now with nothing back there. The larger the motor, the more reduction you'll notice.

However, it may not be enough to worry over. Depends on how tightly you wish to be able to turn your PA.