Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble painting
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm using Petit EZPoxy to paint the hulls of my 16 but even after the 2nd coat, (sanding between coats), I've noticed a lot of "pilling" / beading of the paint. It looks like little bits of balled up paint are getting on the boat and I'm not sure what's causing that. I take time to mix the paint well - I clean the hulls before painting - as far as I know thinning the paint is only necessary in certain climates where the paint is drying too quickly to maintain a wet edge while painting. I"m not having that problem here in Oregon.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are you using a spray gun? I did and it turned out OK. First I sanded the hulls to a very smooth mat finish. Second, I cleaned them up with acetone (or nail polish remover) using a clean absorbent cloth. Third, I used a polyester marine paint that I had to mix with thinner and hardener. I then sprayed one thinly applied base coat and let it dry. Then without sanding I sprayed on a second coat kind of thick and let it dry. Nothing professional but it has a smooth glossy finish and looks a whole lot better than before. If you are not spraying paint on, check out the last post on this topic link. http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=106

If you want some before and after pics just send me an email.