Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Am I missing something...haven't the colors for new sails from Hobie been the same for years now. It seems like every time I look through a new catalog, I get nothing but tired variations of the same 4 colors, with just a few panel shifts.
Did they buy a huge quantity of red, teal, yellow and gray dacron and decide to only make new sails from those colors from then on? Over the years, Hobie sail designers blew everyone else off the water with their colors and patterns. Is there any chance something might change any time soon?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree. If they came up with some flashy new sails, people would be buying them left and right. I'm going to get my '82 Boomer sails reconditioned this winter because I love the design and want them to last. If they reproduced those sails, I would be tempted to buy new.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Pretty different look this year. Introduced last September with a green, blue and yellow.

Cloth is purchased in VERY large runs. Cat sails no longer use enough to make changes often, so we tend to mix and match for about 4 years before coming up with a different pallet.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like white is your only option because you know, coronado is out of the question!!

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Latrobe, PA, USA *** Show YOUR Location - Edit Profile ! ***
buxton wrote:
Looks like white is your only option because you know, coronado is out of the question!!

What does this Coronado look like?

For that matter- it would be really inspiring and probably good for sales of sails if Matt or some other Hobie Gurus would post some nice pics of what sails are available?

This would be for those of us who are somewhat isolated, not able to jump down to a local Hobie dealer, hit the next regatta where everyone shows off their new stuff, etc... This is the internet btw, and people like looking at pictures more than reading all the time, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally I'm not a big fan of the SeaBreeze colours that are the current option. At least Hobie 16 owners have two options for their sails. I happen to LOVE the blue, yellow, red combination on my Bravo, but if my sails wear out before the next colour change, I'm stuck with SeaBreeze. I still love the boat, but it would be nice to have an option.

I guess the only change for me is that the Red has been replaced by green, but to my eyes, it really changes the overall look.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wildlatin wrote:
For that matter- it would be really inspiring and probably good for sales of sails if Matt or some other Hobie Gurus would post some nice pics of what sails are available?...
...This is the internet btw, and people like looking at pictures more than reading all the time, right?

If you go to the "Sailing" link at the top of this page, and then click on your boat. (Bravo/Wave/16 etc) then scroll to the bottom of the page, that will show you the current options. I believe the PDF of the sailing brochure will also show it. That link is located on the right side of the page that your boat is on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Current 16 colors:
Hot Tamale
Seabreeze

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

You can also order "Custom" sails for most models. Mix and match the color panels to your liking.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wish there was a decent source for gently used sails... not needed for racing but still with plenty of life in them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
You can also order "Custom" sails for most models. Mix and match the color panels to your liking.

Cool! :D Because I really like my red.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:

Hi Matt, is the Red, White & Blue combination shown on page 16 of the current sailing catalogue a "custom" option? Those look really slick with the red jib IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If anybody is interested in aftermarket sails that you can choose your own colors for each of the nine panels (for H16) let me know and I will send you the link. They are 4oz 150x250 so a little lighter than Hobie sails but you get to pick your own colors from their color palette of 24 colors. I don't expect that they are allowable for racing but this thread is about tired sail colors. The company is in California and I've not yet tried them so I can't speak for the quality.

Hot Flash #68984

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:39 am 
Site Admin

BrianCT wrote:
is the Red, White & Blue combination shown on page 16 of the current sailing catalogue a "custom" option?

That is red "yellow" and blue, but you could swap the yellow for white is ordering custom.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

or was he talking about the 16 sails pictured in the catalog that are red white and gray.....the catalog doesn't say how much the upcharge for "custom" sails is....and what colors does a person paying for these custom sails have to choose from....still the red white gray blue yellow and now the new green?or is there a wider palette to choose from.??