Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am replacing my rear crossbar on a 1991 H17 as it has cracked on both ends just inboard of the hulls.

My questions are well, a few about the backup plate 50253001. Its not in my manual or as far I can tell on my boat.

Where does the plate go?
Is it a retrofit item of later years that is backward compatible to older existing rear crossbars?

Cheers for the help

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

Has always have a stainless plate for the bolt to seat on. Years ago we made it wider to spread the rivets away from the bolt hole and shear loads at the edge of the hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

Thanks for clearing this up. I think I must have the small plate. I missed it expecting to find the larger plate in scale to the drawing.

Anyone have any experience over time having the larger plate on an old bar where the rivets are closer to bolt hole?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would install the larger plate.

My old boat started to crack at the rear crossbar just inboard of the hull. I ended up making a larger backup plate to help spread the load. The original backup plates were very small, only about 1" square if I recall.

The front crossbars can crack in the same spot, so check them too. When got my first (used) 17, the first thing I did was take it apart and found that the front crossbar was cracked on the underside at both crossbar bolt holes, so it had to be replaced - better than having it break I suppose.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi SM,

Thanks for the reply. I got a parts boat last week with I believe uncracked bars and small plates. The whole idea of putting more holes for a larger rivet pattern in the bottom of the crossbar that had small holes just unnerves me.

So you made your own plates? I have to take the parts boat apart too assess what I can or have to do- same as you or order the H parts and make an on the spot judgement.

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobie7005 wrote:
So you made your own plates?

Yea. It was several years ago, so I don't recall exactly what I did. But I think I used 1/8" or 1/4" flat bar and made a backup plate that was a bit longer than the existing plate, so I could rivet it to the crossbar inboard of the hull as well as in the existing rivet holes. I used the existing plate as a template for the holes.

sm