Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use my PA nearly exclusively in saltwater, and my roll pin DISINTEGRATED today. I have a 2011, and my boat was purchased only 6 weeks ago. I am well over 20 saltwater trips and 15 freshwater trips (living near the beach and a reservoir has its advantages lol)....

i felt it let loose and was able to pedal in a vicious tide to an exposed sandbar and jury rig it with a 2/0 eagle claw and a pair of needle nose.

I was pedalling into a peak ebb tide today which is a pretty wicked current here, even in the back bay, luckily i knew right away and i was able to get to safety.

I have a stainless retention clip in there for the time being while I wait for the $.60 roll pins.. my question is, the hatch is mostly cosmetic, but its not something I take apart regularly to inspect. should I keep a coating of marine grease in there? My dealer ordered me a new 420 roll pin today, but I'm hoping the new pin is of superior metal that doesnt completely collapse.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds very odd. You might consider visiting a real hardware store and purchasing a stainless steel roll pin.