Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My first H18!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello everyone!
I'm new to this site and a proud new owner of a '78 H18 so I thought I would introduce myself a little because this not only my first Hobie but my first sailboat all together. I've been reading post after post for the last week or so and have found so much valuable information for a beginner like myself that I must thank everyone for what I've read and in advance for questions I will have! :D

I live in Naples Florida with my wife so if anyone else is from the area and knows of any clubs or events please let me know. My new to me Hobie is in Indiana right now and a good friend is trailering it down to me this week so when I get it here I will provide pictures. My father in-law bought it around three years ago and it never let the trailer so he gave it to me I showed great interest when I saw it. It'll need a little work but nothing I shouldn't be able to handle with some work and a little guidance!

Josh

Post subject: Re: My first H18!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome, you're going to have a lot of fun!! For starters I suggest downloading and reading the H18 Owners Manual which is linked in the FAQ post at the top of this forum. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Congratulations and enjoy! I went through a lot of boats (including another H18) before I came back around to my current Hobie 18 - they are great boats, you and your wife will love it. Post some photos when you get it down

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice Josh, good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome and congratulations! You and your will have a great time with the boat.

I assume you will be launching in the surf? If so, this is fun, but tricky for the first timer. Try to find someone with experience before you attempt this by yourself. It could save you grief and money knowing the right way to do this. The 18 is amazingly stable in the surf, but it is still surf and powerful.

Have fun!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check my vid if you have any rigging questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl7kZOQ5WQk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Jmecky - I have watched your video's. A few times in fact. They helped a lot with figuring out how to do some of the rigging.

Here are a few pics of the boat.

I do have a little more work ahead of me to the port side hull than I originally thought. It's cracked more than I thought where the shroud wire attaches and it looks like it's coming apart where the top and bottom of the hull is glues together.

My plan was to wait until the anchor plates come in so I can see how they will fit in there then grind away all the bad stuff then re-glass that area. It looks like someone tried to do a cheap fix with some putty or glue.

For the separation I was thinking that I need to sand/grind away a little between the separated pieces and fill it with some of the West Systems epoxy and clam it together. It looks like there is some foam between the two pieces so should I use some filler?

Any advice would be great!

My last question is about about the mast step and the hinge piece. Both pieces look worn and needing replacing. I remember reading somewhere on here that there was an upgrade for this and wanted to know if it's some thing I should do or just go for a replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The cracks under the shroud anchor should definitely be repaired. Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. Definitely grind out the cracks and re-glass. You may be able to add some glass internally as well through the porthole. The newer boats had a large fiberglass patch in that area to help spread out the shroud loads.

The seam separation, epoxy it back together as you described. Mix up a batch, pour it into the seam, and then clamp it together and allow it to cure. I would try to spread the seam open while applying the epoxy so that you ensure the mating surfaces are fully coated in adhesive. The stuff that looks like foam is actually the glue that was used to bond the deck to the hull.

The upgrade for the mast step is a new design (relatively speaking) that encorporates four rivets. It also requires that the dolphin striker post be replaced (Hobie sells a complete assembly for about $100). Personally, I wouldn't worry about changing it unless the existing mast step is loose. You definitely need to replace the plastic mast step bearing though. It is completely shot. The screw head should not be protruding above the plastic bearing.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A couple things ...

You can use a "shopvac" vacuum cleaner to "suck" the epoxy into the crack .....coat well w/ epoxy .... seal/cover hullport w/ a piece of plactic .... suck air out through the drainplug at the transom .....

From the pic's it obvious that the previous owner was keeping the jib stored "furled" .... most likely w/ the mast up ..... get a cover ... or store in a stage box .... the UV's will quickly destroy the jib .....

(Now Mr SRM usually likes to dis-agree w/ me ...)

That mast base HAS to go .... it is the old style and there is a reason why "Hobie" upgraded them. Please research my old posts and threads here on the forum ... there were several threads about why and how to replace the mast base on a H18. Basically, on the "old" style the only thing holding the "mastball" in place is that little itty-bitty screw ... if that screw shears/breaks the mast ball can come out .... and the mast then can "kick-out" from the bottom ..... A VERY UGLY DIS-MASTING .... (usually does major damage to the boat). W/ the new style the SS Dolphin Striker (rod) come up/through the mast base and provides a thick "post" for the mast ball to securely sit on/over ... (when you get the parts you'll understand ...)

And yes .... I got lucky ..... after completing the "Down the Bay" a 3 day/150m long distance race (years ago) .... and coming through the last day when a "back-door" front dropped through w/ gusts of 41-43knts .... we went to take my mast down .... and my mastball/mast base fell off the boat in pieces into the sand ..... one more wave/bump ... who knows .... but I replaced my mast base immediately w/ the "upgrade" that had just come out .....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ive got a spare beam with all of the mast base parts if you want them. If not beams are usually cheap or free if you know anyone in your area with a few 18's. It would probably have all of the 4-rivet mast base parts on them.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SRM and Harry, thanks for the advice!

I will try to get a good amount of epoxy into the crack to make sure it is good and strong. I like the vacuum idea. I will give it a try.

srm, I think just replacing the plastic piece would be the most cost effective rout but the cup it sits in is worn as well so I plan on replacing the whole setup.

Harry, I believe you're right about the jib. It's in pretty bad shape. Did a little stitching and taped to a few bad places but I'm looking for a new one (good used).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Note: If/When you replace that "old" style mast base ... make sure you re-tension the dolphin striker .... more tension is better then not enough ... you do not want the front crossbar "flexing" while sailing .... if it does the front crossbar has a tendency to "crack/split" under the mast step. And since the aluminum is "heat-treated" you can not really fix the crossbar .... only replace it .....

Note 1: If you "dis-mast" .... especially when "kicking-out" from the bottom ... it can get real expensive, really quickly .... and someone can get hurt which is the biggest worry ....

Note 2: I have seen a H16 that had a "front crossbar" failure from a too loose dolphin striker .... nobody got hurt (luckly) .... but the boat "hinged" in the middle .... and folded up like a book ....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

FunkyWalker wrote:
Did a little stitching and taped to a few bad places but I'm looking for a new one (good used).

Hopefully you can find one locally but if not I've got a pretty good used jib I was planning on selling. Shoot me a PM with your email if you're interested and I'll send some photos.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Harry

It got me thinking about your comment regarding tensioning of the dolphin striker rods as I did not realise its seriousness of tensioning.

How do you determine the correct amount of tensioning .... i.e. with a torque wrench or what or what are you looking for during tensioning ???

I have a crack just behind my mast step and I was thinking of rewelding it closed. Your comment regarding hardened aluminium and can not be reworked has put me into a spin.

Also I do not know if it is normal ... As the windward hull lifts out of the water in a good blow and also if there are any waves, my windward hull oscilates with the movement. Is this normal ??? Again this tensioning has got me thinking

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your dolphin striker should be tightened such that it doesn't clunk or rattle if you "pluck" the striker rod- it should be firm. There is no specified torque for the dolphin striker, but you can feel when you've got it right. Use a standard 3/8" drive ratchet wrench and tighten it until all the slop is taken out and then go a few more turns.

You should replace your forward crossbar. I've had two crack basically in the same spot as yours. I would not trust a welded repair because, as stated previously, the aluminum is heat treated and gains a significant portion of its strength from the heat treatment process. When you weld it, you remove the heat treatment. Used crossbars are available used usually for around $100 to $200.

Your windward hull should not oscillate in the breeze. This may be a sign that your crossbar is cracked worse than you think, or it could be that your crossbar bolts need to be tightened up.

sm