Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had "One of those days" out on the lake today.

First the mast would not seat all the way down and lock. Took mast down out on the water - tried to figure out. Failed. Went back to ramp. Turns out the entire mast assembly the part where the furling line is located has slipped about 1/4-1/2" up the mast. This was just enough that it would not lock or seat properly. Attempted to pound it down and succeeded but broke the top of the furling receptacle. Geeessssh!!!! ARgh!!!! Anyway - I got it moved down and now it was locking into place.

Next Problem: Wife freaking out cause every tack we hear a loud noise. She wants to go back again. After a intense (understatement) discussion we sail for an hour but eventually head back again cause I noticed that the front AKA bar is slipping from side to side. Went back to ramp - got better tools than my on-board tools and attempted to tighten. Well it still slipped. We stopped for the evening.

When I got home I tightened some more and check the internal braces - one was loose - so I tightened those too. Hopefully it is fixed? Not sure though. Anyone else ever have the front AKA slipping?

Then when driving home my tail lights went out. Stopped and diagnosed but was not sure what happened - was only 20 minutes from house. Got home, and found out a fuse had blown. Lights working again.

Oh and my front caryy handle broke - it broke into two. Gosh - I mean what the heck? This all occurred in 3 hours.

After I got home -I glued back the Furling piece I broke, tightened the front AKA and internal brace and fixed the lights.

I think the TI is about all I can handle boat wise! LOL.

Ready to try again tomorrow - Canyon lake here I come!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ouch
I would chalk that up as a really nasty day.

The only suggestion I could make:

A good night's sleep can sharpen you up to go through the entire process again on launch.....

.....one step at a time.

If there are factory issues, take it back to the dealer and have them give your baby a safety check.

If parts are broken, I strongly recommend that you replace these parts with new ones ASAP to have you replace the trust in your boat when you first bought it.

Trailer lights need to be sealed as you also need to possibly replace your bearings with 'Bearing Buddies' (waterproof seals for your wheel bearings on the trailer)

If you think you have issues now....take the same boat (and trailer) into Salt Water....

Hoping it works out for you, m8
Fred

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It happens... See: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=20914&hilit=spool+mast+AI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trinomite and Reconlon, thanks for the information.

That mast thing was the problem.

Any thoughts on the front AKA bar sliding ? I can only see that the front two clamps our the only thing only the AKA in place. I have tightened those as tight as I could go. The only slide about 1/2 inch when tacking but it is enough to be irritating.

Going out today - fingers crossed things go better today.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same problem of the aka slipping up to 3/4" when beginning a tack. When I tack the other direction it slips back to a neutral position. There is a pronounced knocking sound as it slips.
I took TI in to ACK for them to inspect. I was told that they would check with Hobie to see it this clicking/popping/slipping was a problem. (meaning was my case isolated or were there many with same problem)
Apparently this is a problem.
I noticed that the movement basically involves the port side bracket only as I watched closely while buddy worked the controls on TI. ACK boys suggested maybe the hull was deforming under force caused by tacking.
As of yesterday I have not received further news from Austin Canoe & Kayak on their research on this problem.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mark,
"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Most bad things happen in 3's, but somehow you managed to get a couple extra thrown in for good measure:roll:. On the bright side though, you (should) be trouble free for a while.

Quote:
Next Problem: Wife freaking out cause every tack we hear a loud noise. She wants to go back again. After a intense (understatement) discussion we sail for an hour but eventually head back again cause I noticed that the front AKA bar is slipping from side to side. Went back to ramp - got better tools than my on-board tools and attempted to tighten. Well it still slipped. We stopped for the evening.

When I got home I tightened some more and check the internal braces - one was loose - so I tightened those too. Hopefully it is fixed? Not sure though. Anyone else ever have the front AKA slipping?

Remember... "If Mama's not happy, no ones happy".
I take it the "loud noise" you were hearing was coming from the aka brace not your wife? or was it both? :lol: Seriously though this is the part of your story that caught my attention. Back in June I wrote about my broken Screw Socket problem, and how prior to the screw actually breaking, I would occasionally hear a strange "popping" sound from the mast receiver area when I tacked.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=36284

I have since replaced the broken screw, and in the process of I've learned a lot more about how and why it happened, and what to watch for in the future. I believe this is an important maintenence issue for everyone and I plan on writing a more through, follow up post, on the topic at another time.

Suffice it to say, there are several forces that come into play in the area of the V-Frame Strut, Turnbuckles, Screw Socket's, and the Socket Cap Screws (the ones that actually go through the forward Cross Bar Clamps) that are important to maintain proper tension on.

At this time, you may want to check the tightness on all 3 Screw Sockets (there are two on top, and one at the base of the V-Frame). If you have the older style Screw Socket with a hex head, use a 1/8th Allen hex key to first hold the screw in place while you tighten the nylon 1/4" loc-nuts with a 7/16th's open end wrench.

How much to tighten? According to Matt, the Screw Sockets themselves are supposed to be installed into the brass inserts at the factory with blue loc-tite. The 1/4" nylon backing loc-nuts should be "tight".

I tightened mine to a specification I would best describe as not eye popping or farting tight, just tight. Good luck and keep sailing, it will keep you young.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

More great info. Thanks!

I checked those all look good. One screw was a little loose.

Mine movement was coming from the AKA Brace where it mounts to the boat. It was sliding back and forth. I think it was the clamps and were just a little loose.

If not, this will be a short trip today.

Oh almost forgot, 3 buckles on the tramps broke yesterday too. I have replacements but they suck. Need to find better buckles. Also need to figure out a way to reinforce them - 5 per side is not enough. I am wondering could I retrofit 2 inch buckles for more strength?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mark,
Glad to hear that's all it was.
ps We're all a "screw loose" somewhere :wink:

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well it was not loose braces on the AKAs.

Here is a pic showing how the front AKA moves/slides back and forth.

So every tack - slam back and forth - did not seem to really hurt anything but I found it irritating.

P1030915.jpg by PhotoByMark, on Flickr

Turns out this nut was a tad loose - I think just enough play to cause the AKAs to shift.

P1030916.jpg by PhotoByMark, on Flickr

This one was also just a tad loose.

P1030918.jpg by PhotoByMark, on Flickr

Won't know for sure if this fixes it, but I am hopeful that was the problem.

Another thread on the subject...
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=30891

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Another thread on this same subject...

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=37442

Image Image