Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie sport or outback??
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I'm new on here, but not so new to the kayak fishing game :wink: I've recently fallen in love with the hobies. I am fascinated by their well thought out designs and am certainly going to get a hobie very soon. Unfortunately like others, I am torn between the sport and outback. At 5 foot 8 and 60 kilo's I have been told that the Sport is a better option. However, while the lightness and maneuverability of the sport are qualities that will serve me well, I am concerned about speed and stability. I basically want a yak that can get me to those fishing spots relitavely quickly and I would like to be able to stand up and cast at times as I have become quite skilled at been able to do this on yaks that aren't so stable :lol: although at times have suffered the conseqences :oops: I have been told that there is little speed difference between the 2. However at 60 kilo's i think i would get quite a lot of free board with the outback. Would this make the speed difference more substantial, enough to be concerned about? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I would hate to buy the wrong one and regret it. Cheers!

- Stuie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome basstard

Are you fishing in salt or freash water? I would get the sport because I think it is more versatile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Basstard,
OffRoad asked an important question, where will you be using it the most? I am sold on the Mirage Drive and tested the Sport, Outback, and the Adventure. I bought the Adventure because I only do big water. I didn't care much for the Sport at all because is seemed like a toy, but that is just me. The Outback was too wide for me and difficult to get in and out of because I'm short. If you have narrowed it down to just those two and you want to stand, I would recommend the Outback. If you are going to be on the ocean or big lakes, give the Adventure a look. If possible, try them all before you buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yea, I am big on freshwater, love chasing the elusive bass, so freshwater rivers creeks, dams and lakes are more my scene, however the only reason why I haven't ventured out on saltwater is that up until now I really haven't had the chance. I see your point with the outback with storage space e.t.c and have considered the adventure or a faster bigger yak alike which I have plans to buy down the track, however accomodating such a big yak is a problem. My instincts tell me the sport, but mmm.. i still just don't know :( If only i could take them out for a paddle, which no local dealers allow unfortunately

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Regardless of which model you choose you may want to consider the Sidekick outriggers (amas) that are soon to be available. My Outback is a very stable platform for me at about 88 kilos however I don't fish while standing. I will be buying the Sidekick when it becomes available because I also sail the kayak, but standing will then be an option. Might be nice to be able to stretch the legs on occaision and improve the sight fishing when looking for floating kelp paddys. 8)

Post subject: go sport
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a sport and an outback. The outback is a beast to both put on cartop and to paddle. My wife's sport paddles a lot swifter. I do like the outback though for Lake fishing and hopefully in the Gulf of Mexico soon. The peddle drive is 2x as fast and effortless vs paddling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know the outback is faster, but how much faster than a Sport? I'm in the same boat as you are basstard, I'm 5ft 7 160lbs and can't decide between a sport or outback. I'll be test paddleing them all next month, even the Adventure, but I'm not sure if I like the ideal of a 16ft kayak in the back of my small pu bed, especially sense I won't be doing any saltwater fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dryness,
I've read in a few posts about the dry ride a Outback will give you. How about the Sport? I know a few of the members of this post have both so your opinions would be great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Adventure will be the fastest and also the hardest to turn in a small area ie river. Outback is the widest so it’s the driest. Quote by Richie “sport paddles a lot swifterâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

basstard (and others),
I have both. Even though I bought the Sport for my wife, that is all I use now when she is not along--for freshwater, estuaries and bays, and even offshore ocean fishing in the Atlantic (once). Your height and weight are perfect for the Sport, but the Outback will seem very tippy to you unless you add about 75 lbs of gear, sandbags, or concrete blocks(!) to get the sponsons down in contact with the water.

As to speed, the OB will be faster, simply because it is longer. As to a dry ride, the OB will be much better. The Sport has less freeboard and can be a bit of a wet ride in chop since you are much closer to the bow. But I wear waterproof pants (and jacket, if need be), so the wet ride has not bothered me too much. The OB, because of the hull design and length deflects water much better than the Sport, and even better than the Adventure from what I hear.

I also especially like the lighter weight of the Sport since it does not aggravate my back problems when lifting it onto my trailer or loadXtender. If you cartop (which I have also done) you will probably like the Sport better as well, especially if you have a tall vehicle like a SUV. If you have a PU, and can simply lash your yak down in the bed, that is probably the best transport option (IMHO), since weight considerations won't matter much there.
Good luck.
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the input ppls, keep em commin' :wink: my hobie isn't far off now, just waiting for my old kayak to sell so I can get the dosh. Just another thought that I was pondering over. Does anyone have difficult with casting out of a kayak when there are rods stored in the holders behind the seat? I get the feeling, with baitcasters especially, as you pull back for a cast, the lure or rod tip is likely to interfere or hit the rods behind you. This is a concern with the sport been a smaller kayak. One would assume that the distance between the seat and rear rod holders is less than that of other kayaks, ie - outback adventure e.t.c. Has anyone experienced this? Note.. I don't use a rod over 6 foot.

[quote][/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bass,
Yep--casting with rods sticking up behind you can be a problem. I try to remember to angle the rod tip out to the side when casting. Although I prefer to cast straight out over my head or shoulder for accuracy, this is usually not possible without fouling a rod tip somewhere behind, or to the side of, you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hmmm... is this only happen with you in the sport, or is it a problem that ocurs in most yaks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, I seem to recall that it was more of a problem in the OB, due to its greater width. Of course, if you have an empty gunwale bungee , you could lash the rods down there to largely eliminate the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was going to demo all three next month, but decided to purchase the Sport from KFS this weekend. With JONS advice from KFS and after reading all your guy's post I decided on a SPORT. I'll be on vacation in TX in July and want to hit the lakes the first day, if I demo them then ordered it from KFS I would have to wait a week and waste half my vacation time. I think getting the SPORT for my freshwater needs is going to work out great, if I want to upgrade to a bigger/faster/ocean yak later, I'll get the Adventure or maybe even the rumored Revolution. Either way, I'll think I would probably want to keep the smaller/handy Sport. Thanks for your replies and all the hundreds of posts that I have read of yours on this and the KFS site.

PK