Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why, Why, Why!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got my new 16 (My 10th one I think) and have rigged the jib. Why do they insist on putting the luff tensioner at the head of the jib and not the tack, where it can be adjusted without a ladder :shock:

Tell me Matt, PLEASE!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We do it like that because we know you hate it! Ha-ha

Sorry, I had to do it.

;-)

JB

Post subject: Re: Why, Why, Why!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Korz wrote:
I just got my new 16 (My 10th one I think) and have rigged the jib. Why do they insist on putting the luff tensioner at the head of the jib and not the tack, where it can be adjusted without a ladder :shock:

Tell me Matt, PLEASE!!!!!

Put the boat on the grass, grab a trap line and pull the boat over on its side. No ladder needed!

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject: Which end?
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Which end? Why at the top? As I recall the logic was a variety of things...

The tack can be brought lower.

Provided event sailors would be prohibited from making adjustments during events.

It is a cleaner setup when all that mess it up out of view too.

Way back, the thinking was to put it up as most (90%) of the boats were being sold for recreational sailing.

For most it is a set and forget thing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK. Wait. Now, take a deep breath and try this: rig the jib upside down (tack to the shackle and head to the bridle adjuster). Once it's up, set the luff tensioner as desired. Save yourself having your brand new cat on it's side, or dealing with being on a ladder and fumbling with the tensioner up high.

Wish I could say I thought of this, but I just got a new 16 myself and got this tip from my dealer. Good luck with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How do you like the new boat Tom.I pick mine up tomorrow.

Post subject: New boat thoughts
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Mike,

Here are my impressions of the new 16.

Remember I got my 1st 16 in 1975, actually my dad's but we sailed together, and have had ten or more 16's over the years.

Fiberglass work and finish
-very nice, probably the best yet. There is still a slight indent, just above the keel line on the outside of the hulls. I think this must have something to do with the molds cause most boats I have seen have some evidence of this. Susan's 2004 has a very pronounced dimple there but it doesn't seem to affect performance.

Set up/controls
-Best layout ever. I really like the traveler cleats-Ronstan vs those little lance cleats. The new jib cars are great the uncleat from every angle. This will be important cause I will be racing with my 10 yr old daughter this year.

The jib halyard is in the front of the mast, makes on the water adjusment a little tougher but is probably better for rotation.

Low stretch jib halyard comes with the boat-Niiiice :wink:

very low profile mainsheet blocks. The top is the tiny carbo and the bottom is the standard Harken low profile. I think this is the optimal set-up. At the Worlds in Mex they had the small top and the small carbo bottom, caused some weird jumping of the sheeves and adjustment of the bottom carbo is a :twisted: PITA

I don't buy any of the reasoning for the luff tensioner at the top, just a personal peeve.

Line quality is excellent and the sizing has gone down, which the right thing to do. Jib sheet is right length, main sheet 4-6' too long

As usual the jib traveller lines are about 12 inches too short. Never fiqured out why this is a skimp but.....read the above and make your own conclusions.

Rudders, I got the white racing rudders, straight and nice, they are not far enough under the boat. I find the stock drill pattern in the rudders a bit helmy. I will have that fixed by MCXXX or I will just take my wifes rudders and redrill mine when I have the time. A fleet member has a jig that makes the helm oh so sweet 8) 8)

All in all I think that Hobie US is doing a GREAT job on the production of the 16. This is far and away the best most complete boat I/we have taken position of.

Boatworks did a great job of assembly, thanks Rob & Timmay. I barely had to re-rig anything this time :lol: I reccomend them highly for all your catamaran needs.

Got a pretty cool sail #109876.

Mike we'll miss you at MCXXX and the Madslapper Hockey tourney on Fri morn.

Good luck with your new boat and let us know what you think. When you pick it up eyeball the mast and rudders and make sure they are straight & true.

Oh yeah, the ladder thing was a joke :roll: :D :wink:

Post subject: Re: New boat thoughts
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:03 am 
Site Admin

Tom Korz wrote:
the jib traveller lines are about 12 inches too short.

The jib traveler lines are short as they are not intended to be used from the wire. These can also wrap around legs and necks in a capsize when long. This is really why we keep them short in production.

Oh and... see ya at Mad Catter! I'm coming too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: short trav lines
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll buy that :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its home.Two days and 700 miles later I have 109995 home.Looks great,I agree with Tom on all of the above.I bought the kevlar carbon rudders,changing them over was a bit of a hassel(getting those shims in is a real exercise in frustration)Matt let us in on the secret for getting shims in.
Tom I agree the rudders seem to be not far enough under the boat.I might have to get your input on how to fix.
Driving home along the shores of Lake Superior was a real tease,15 to 20 knts of wind,2-3 ft waves,beautiful sparkling sunshine.the only thing(besides my wife) that stopped me from pulling up to one of the beaches and rigging up was the temp(about34 F with the wind).
Tom you really got to make your way up here one year, the sailing and scenery is spectaculer)just remember to bring your wet suit.
Big thanks to Brad Nelson at Hi-tempo for all his efforts,and patience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The secret is tape them (with scotch tape) to the housing until you get the bolts all the way through. Enjoy your boat.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MMadge,

I was half asleep last night when I left my reply so let me clarify. The secret to getting the shims in when mounting yours rudders is to tape them (the shims) with scotch tape to the rudder casting until you get the bolts all the way through. The tape will wear off through the usage of the boat. I have a great looking 16 but I can't imagine having a new one.

Enjoy your boat,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good idea.I wonder how the factory does it because I see no sign of tape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got a new boat last year. Moved up from a 75.

I LOVE IT!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

This thing is so tight, it's really smooth to get it up on one hull and just stay there. I love the J&H handles so much better then the dog bones.

I've finnaly gotten used to the jib halyward being up front.

It is kind of funny, I raced one of our Portsmouth raced single handed this weekend and for the first time since I bought the boat, I was trying to snap the jib sheet DOWN to uncleat it, and it took me a few moments to reealize why It would not come uncleated (DUH!), shows you how frustrated I was at there being NO wind...

It's also nice being the guy with the new boat for awhile at the regatta's. I had them put on the sail numbers from my original boat. It's a hoot seeing people looking at my mainsail scratching their heads at a brand new 16 with a sail # of 13566... I even had someone ask me where I got my sails..... (I would hope after 8k, they would have come with the boat!)

Congrats on the new toy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bought a sweet '75 for parts last Saturday with the finest frame of any I've owned yet! Anodizing is perfect and but it was hell getting it off the delam'd hulls after 31 years.

What about this 16 rudder template??? I also picked up "switchblades" in the deal in need of a little epoxy. Any way to post the template? Or any way to tell us the dimensional difference of holes?

Thanks