Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hy!
I am currently looking for a used Cat to buy and I think it should be a Hobie.

I am looking for a popular (cheaper) boat that is made for weight from 190lbs to 380 lbs and can ocasionally carry more than 380 lbs. I weight 190 lbs and will be sailing alone >60% of the time, but I also aim to sail with a friend who has 190lbs too, and the boat should race too at this weight ;). Sometimes one or to girls will come on the boat too. BTW I love the banana shape.

Hobie 14: seems to be too light.
Hobie 15: I was told this boat would be too heavy to enjoy sailing one-hand,
Hobie 16: I was told it would not be possible for me to right it up alone, and btw I dont linke the boom..
Hobie 17: Would you suggest this one? I am not sure if I like the wings, and it mostely seems to have a boom too..

Please help :)
Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rudi9999 wrote:
I weight 190 lbs and will be sailing alone >60% of the time, but I also aim to sail with a friend who has 190lbs too, and the boat should race too at this weight ;).

You need a Hobie 16 with a righting bag.....

and a Nacra 20! :D

Seriously, there is no single boat that can meet all of your needs. You need to get something smaller (14 or 16 w/righting assistance) to learn on, then go for something larger and more powerful when you've learned enough to start racing with your buddy. If possible find some catsailors near you to learn from and see the pros/cons of the different boats. Posting your location here might help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just my $.02: You can't go wrong with a 16. As a beginner myself, it is advantageous to have the most "popular" boat out there. This means there are plenty of people to learn from and plenty of spare parts to buy. As far as weight on a 16, you'll probably want to start out learning to sail with 2 people but once you're comforable you can graduate to soloing with a righting bucket if the winds are strong. It won't take long to be comfortable enough to solo as long as you sail often once you get it.

Other boats beside a 16 would be fine too to learn on. Like others said, there isn't one single "magic" boat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie 14 - forget it. You're at the top end of the weight range at 190lb.
Forget about taking any passengers.

Hobie 15 - ????

Hobie 16 - It would be OK for you single handed in light to medium wind. Anything over 15mph and it will be a handful given your size and skill level. With you and another 190lb guy, it's going to start to really sit low low in the water and become sluggish in anything less than a strong breeze. With you and an average size girl - perfect.

Hobie 17 - excellent choice for single handing. You're the right size to really enjoy the boat. With more than one person on board, it starts to bog down.

Hobie 18 - Excellent choice for sailing with two or more average to large size people. You and your 190lb friend will have a blast on an 18. It's not too bad to single hand in wind less than 15mph. You can roll up the jib to easily reduce sail area.

Getaway - High load carrying capacity but also easy to singlehand, simple to set up, no boom, very durable, designed for entry-level catamaran sailors. It is actually probably the boat that most closely meets all your needs.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am in a similar situation, I am looking at a hobbie 14, I want a smaller boat. I sailed when in high school, years ago and now my kids and wife want to learn, the kids and wife are all under 130lbs each, I am at the 240lbs mark. most of the time initially it would be me and one of them until they learn to sail. I am not looking to race, only to fart around the lake. Is the 14 still too small for even that at my weight?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

From experience at those weights, you'll be fine, but you just won't be fast. I just dragged our H14 home this week in horrendous condition and plan to invest the effort and expense to fix it up. Lots of H14 detractors around here - many of whom seem a little unrealistic - but Hobie 14s are great boats to play with, especially for beginners.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

so say you get the hobie 14.... and you learn to sail it....

then you try the hobie 16....

when you're on the 16 you'll say:

-wow, this thing is so much easier to sail
- wow, this thing sure does ride smoother
- wow, this thing is a lot less sensitive to my balance and weight placement
- wow, this is a lot faster...
- wow, this sure is easier to sail with to people.. and will even take 3.

I started w/a H14 and LOVE it... and sailed 16s a bit, and now have an 18 too.... the 14 is great, but quick to be outgrown if you want to bring folks, etc, etc... and with the bigger bows (the H16s), etc, it's easier to sail.

but the 14 will get you going, and if you can sail that well I think you'd be an even better 16 sailor, because the 14 is more sensitive/tender.

and the 17 is an absolute blast to solo.
cheers, Rob.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

[quote="cavi"]I am in a similar situation, I am looking at a hobbie 14, I want a smaller boat. I sailed when in high school, years ago and now my kids and wife want to learn, the kids and wife are all under 130lbs each, I am at the 240lbs mark. most of the time initially it would be me and one of them until they learn to sail. I am not looking to race, only to fart around the lake. Is the 14 still too small for even that at my weight?[/quote]

Cavi, at 240 you could make the boat go, and sail, and tack, etc.
Keep in mind it's on 14 feet w/2 little hulls of displacement and an ideal crew weight (for learning, handling, and performance) of about 150lbs. An overloaded boat handles differently, which can make learning more difficult than necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Eight years of Hobie 16 fun have passed, just a little update: its the perfect boat ;)
Sailing alone works until light 4bft, 2 person sailing depends on weight but one can sail until 5-6 i guess (but dangerous for you and the material..).
So conclusion: I love it!