Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spare Hardware
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2010 Club Wave and have two questions for veterans. What, if any, spare hardware to you keep on hand? As we set the boat up, I was thinking that it would be all too easy to drop a pin or other piece of small hardware and lose it in the sand. Being a conservative guy, and dreading a ruined weekend some time down the road, I was imagining creating an inventory of all the small hardware associated with the boat and buying one redundant item for everything on the inventory. What do others do? What spare parts do you keep on hand? Do dealers sell spare parts kits?

One other related question: If you keep your sail in a garage or shed during the winter, do you do anything special with it? Do you just leave it in the sail bag, or do you have some weather and rodent-proof storage arrangement.

Thanks for your input.

Post subject: Re: Spare Hardware
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your boat should have come with a few extra ring-dings, but I have a "kit" of assorted ones I bought years ago. I also keep a spare pin with ring in the bottom hole of my forestay adjuster, since that's where I'm most likely to need one at a critical time.

I have a stainless multi-tool which I clip to the mast, and I keep a quick-pin on the same clip... just in case. I've heard a few stories about a leeward shroud coming loose, and the skipper knowing that the mast would inevitably drop when he had to tack, because he couldn't pin it on the fly.

I keep my sail in the garage through the winter; in the sail bag on an upper shelf. I've never had any problems with rodents.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, keep a small plastic box of assorted pins and rings. Also several D shackles. I like the Wichard with self locking feature. Have had a screw or two loosen and so keep a tube of Loctite (non-permanent) and check and redo occasionally. Had a screw loosen on the mainsheet blocks which was hairy but caught it in time.

Some two-legged rats that crawl around in my winter storage at times. :) Sails loosely rolled and up and out of reach.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought my Wave used, so I didn't get the extra hardware. Thanks for your ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Regarding winter sail storage, here in the midwest we have field mice that come indoors in the winter. My dealer said that mice like to chew on the Wave sails and use the pieces for their nests. I put up a cheap wall shelf in a spare basement room for my sail and just leave it in the sail bag on the shelf like IndyWave does with his. If you have to leave it in a shed where mice may come in, it would be cheaper to store it in a capped PVC pipe or something like that rather than buy a new sail in the spring.

Also, I was told to de-tension the battens for long term storage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went ahead and got the wave extras kit/bag that has hooks :lol: that secure it to the trampoline, and yes it has saved my ass more than once, worth every cent and a great storage for tools, like to pull backrest pins and tighten things.

:lol:

oh yeah got some wind on lake Conroe, TX 8/8/11 (sweet) it has been about a week or so!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is all great advice. You don't need much in the way of spare parts but when you have a problem, the spares are priceless.