Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a recommended maximum height for pedaling with the mirage drives - more specifically on the Outfitter model. Is the space between the pedals and the seat shorter on the tandem Outfitter than on one of the single seat models?

At 6'2" would I be comfortable pedaling an Outfitter?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Welcome to the forum. Everybody has different leg lengths and comfort zones, so whereas you'd probably be fine, it would serve your best interests to take a test drive before purchasing. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mulligan wrote:
At 6'2" would I be comfortable pedaling an Outfitter?
Can't comment on an outfitter but on the Outback, I have a 36" inseam and the seating/pedal arrangement is wonderful with room to spare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the responses.

I just thought I'd post a follow up response, in case anybody else out there is wondering. I took an Outfitter out for a few hours yesterday and I had plenty of leg room for pedaling (6'2" inseam around 33-34") - I was very comfortable using the second to last pedal notch.

I was also solo and I thought it handled well. It was a bit windy so I filled a five gallon bucket with water and put it all the way up front to hold the bow down. Since it was well ahead of the front seat that seemed plenty of weight to compensate. Not sure if that was necessary, as I forgot to try it with the bucket empty, but it worked out well for me. I had a great time paddling/pedaling it solo.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I see the adjustment handles and have read the adjustment handle installation pdf. But I am not sure how to safely make an adjustment or in which direction I should adjust what to accommodate my long legs. I am mechanically challenged and do not want to break anything or void my warranty.

Knees around ears does not seem to be a power position.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:02 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

StocktonDon wrote:
I see the adjustment handles....

Simply caress the handle with your hand and give it a little squeeze. That process withdraws the locking pin. You can now move the pedal arm forward or backward along that lower piece (with all the holes in it). When you get near your destination, let go of the adjustment handle and the pin will snap in to the next available hole.

Do this one arm at a time. Look and make sure the pins from each pedal arm are in comparable holes (unless one leg is longer). Don't worry, you won't be able to break it. But if you do, this message will self destruct. 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

1. I refuse to admit I want the kind of relationship with my Adventure that involves caressing and squeezing.

2. Please send the GP version as I am apparently too ignorant of the ways of the world to make your original X-rated instructions produce any results.

3. I can unclip the top of the adjustment handle and it looks like the top should pull away from the pedal shaft, and the bottom rotate out to pull the pin out to allow adjustment - but it does not do so to gentle pressure. I hate to ask this, but does she want it rough?

Please keep this between just us.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay, doctor, that’s supposed to be “PGâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Try this link. http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/Ad ... struct.pdf Matt somewhere I saw a video on the pedal adjustment but cant find it now.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Offroad, but I found , printed out, and studied the adjustment handle pdf to which you kindly linked me some time ago. Unless you are to partially remove the adjustment handle I do not think this pdf is the answer for what I must assume are routine, tool free, field adjustments.

I would love to see a video of the adjustment process.

As a person whose mechanical aptitude is suspect I am reluctant to just let 'er rip on pulling the adjustment handles.

[Doc, I am blushing, but could adding a lubricant help?]

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When are you going to be near LA? Have you tried your dealer?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

L.A. June 9; will try dealer tomorrow.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have no instructions on making the sdjustment. Unclipping and moderate pulling on the adjuster handles does not pull the pins and allow adjustment.

Am I trying the wrong thing? Should I pull harder? Is a good spray of WD-40 a help?

Do I have to partially dis-assemble the keeper and pin assembly to make the adjustment?

[Accidentally drowned cell phone and did not get call in to dealer yet.]

Assistance por favor. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to Terri, Booligal, dduffe, JoshKaptur, yakkinaway, Roadrunner, offshore, and others for helping me through my pedal adjustment phase. You are all correct, squeezing the BOTTOM of the assembly handle against the pedal shaft easily disengaged the pin and allowed adjustment.

Unclipping the top of the adjustment handle was absolutely the wrong starting move. Fortunately my urge to unclip and crank down hard on the adjustment handle set off my normal you-don’t-know-what-you’re-doing alarm and I had the kayak community to which to turn.

Crew (aka darn cat) indicates he knew it all along.