Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone.
Today I started to mount the Island upgrade kit to my 2011 Adventure.
My mast cup have on top a locking mechanism for the mast. The front cross bar have on bottom side a bend metal plate with attached string/pulley. I have tried to put the crossbar on the top of the mast cup before I will drill the holes to attach the mast cup, so it all align. Also on the mast cup is a groove for the cross bar with two threaded holes. On the bottom of the cross bar is only one hole and it doesn't fit any of the two holes on the mast cup. It just don't match.
It looks to me, that the mast cup is for newer model of the cross bars.
Can you please help me how to mount it together?

Also I didn't have ST turbo fins in the box, I thought they come as a part of the upgrade. Is it true?

One more question for Hobie, how can I get the new upgrade for the rudder please? I've asked in the shop I bought the kayak from (Brighton-Canoes/UK) and they didn't even know about the new rudder system.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Remove the stainless mast loc. Use the one in the receiver.

Disregard the two holes in the receiver... they only fit V2 crossbars.

St Turbo fins come standard on new Adventure Islands now, but have never been part of the conversion kit. The kit is based on the original AI configuration using standard fins.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for quick answer Mr.Miller.

Regarding to new rudder system, in topic here viewtopic.php?f=71&t=35376 it says the new system will be send directly to customers, if Hobie will have their details. I am pretty sure, that no one have my address, because when I asked about warranty, I have been told not to worry about filling it up, because that applies only to US.
How can I get the upgrade please? Shall I contact the shop again and ask for it, or shall I contact Hobie-Europe?
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

There is no warranty replacement for Adventure hull / rudders. They did not deliver with the suspect rudder system. You could only mount the newer rudder on a 2011 or newer Adventure hull. Contact Hobie Kayak Europe for details.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Today I finished with the conversion. Few bits left and now I am not sure if I have missed something. Everything was done exactly by the instruction sheet.

1. The long bolt on top left was together with the roller what is fitted between front crossbar and front hatch on the right side. I have attached the roller with two short bolts and nuts which were on the roller. I don't know where this long bolt suppose to be fitted.

2. Two threaded pins were in the compartment with another pin of same size. all of them with nuts. One pin I used on the bottom of the hull to fix mast receiver. From the other two I have used only the nuts to fix the V frame on top end. Pins were already installed in the boat.

3. Black plastic bloc - Keel line. I don't know where it suppose to be fitted and what is the function. Here I have to say I never sailed before, so for someone it might be very obvious, but I really don't know.

4. Plastic bag with line and two plastic bolts with plastic nuts. There are also some black plastic objects with for me unknown function.

Do you know where these parts should be fitted please?

Last question is about the sail. I have fitted the two thin long white sticks into the sail, but they seems to be too long. Both are about 2 inches longer than the space they suppose to go into. Both sticks are pushed right to the end where the white plastic block is. Or shall I unscrew the white blocks and fit the white stick into them and secure back with screws?

Thank you very much for any advice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can help with some of them.

Quote:
Black plastic bloc - Keel line.

That is a mounting block for a removable kayak compass. Did one come with your kit?

Quote:
Plastic bag with line and two plastic bolts with plastic nuts. There are also some black plastic objects with for me unknown function.

The plastic bolts are part of the aka support brace mounting system [spares] -- they are designed to break away under excessive load so that nothing more costly breaks. The two "unknown" black plastic items go on the top ends of your sail battens so you can tie the battens into place. The gray & yellow line is your sail downhaul - it ties the lower front corner of the sail [the "tack"] to the top of the furling drum.

Happy sailing :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:52 am 
Site Admin

The block is not from Hobie Cat.

The spare screws seem to be simply extras.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Viktor,

Sorry, I focused on your numbered items and overlooked your last question. Those sticks are your battens [the ends of which are the black unknown objects in the plastic bag]. They are supposed to be a little longer than the pocket they slide into. Their installation is illustrated on page 5 of the Adventure Island manual.
http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/suppor ... Manual.pdf

The document is available under the "support" tab on this website, but I am surprised that a hard copy was not included with your hardware kit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bluehen wrote:
I can help with some of them.

Quote:
Black plastic bloc - Keel line.

That is a mounting block for a removable kayak compass. Did one come with your kit?

Quote:
Plastic bag with line and two plastic bolts with plastic nuts. There are also some black plastic objects with for me unknown function.

The plastic bolts are part of the aka support brace mounting system [spares] -- they are designed to break away under excessive load so that nothing more costly breaks. The two "unknown" black plastic items go on the top ends of your sail battens so you can tie the battens into place. The gray & yellow line is your sail downhaul - it ties the lower front corner of the sail [the "tack"] to the top of the furling drum.

Happy sailing :D

Many thanks! You are actually right. I tried to fit compass I bought into the drink bottle hole. Probably I lost this bit and later thought it was part of the upgrade.
Thank you for the link, it is very helpful. Tomorrow I'll print it. Unfortunately it wasn't in the upgrade box.
You made my day mate! :)