Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Friends

Just a small heads up please:

Commiting to any mounting system, camera system is not to be taken lightly.
Every successful system on the market all have their own Pros and Cons.

The reason that anyone picks a system is that it hopefully meets their needs after careful research as to what suits them on a rather very small craft (Yaks)

Keep in mind a few factors please:

1) Make a master plan of where you intend to place what, when and how many. Now add up the weight (with the number of bolts, washers and nuts) and see if you still want that much extra weight in total on your boat.

2) How much effort is it going to take to rig all that extra stuff to get you out for a good day's sail. If it becomes a hassle, human nature dictates you may just not even bother with the extras.

3) Consider your passengers, they may not realize that what they just heard go crunch under feet is a Micro-Robo Cam` that they were never made aware off before they jumped aboard your boat. Can you almost derig your vessel from a camera vessel to just a simple SailYak to save your gear from destruction.

4) How many bolts will it take to mount all that gear. Each bolt will also put a hole in your deck or your fittings (and a potential source for leaks unless properly installed and checked with a pressure hose to maintain your safety on the water).

5) If you can, try to use fittings that require no drilling but use hose clamps to mount your gear. This also allows you the ability to move gear based on experience as you use it on the water).
Tech changes constantly. God forbid that after all that brainstorming, research, and sweat equity, you end up with a system that needs to be replaced in part (or worse, in total). Alas unless you use products like Loctite or even Silicone seal, those type of fittings need the most maint. to ensure they stay tight to protect your expensive camera gear.

6) Once you have gotten it all to work as a system that pleases you and enhances your experience on the water, I applaud you in every possible way. 8)

(so far so good, I have had my doubts, but it is slowly working out for my own idea of what I wanted out of my boat, plus the ability to change the setup as needed or simply because I feel like it) :wink:

Regards
Fred

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Solid advice. Planning well always trumps fly-by-night building & design.

Image Image