Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water Ski Lure for Yaks
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:47 am 
Hobie Team Member

One of the problems of using lures in a yak is you can't do 10 knots like a power boat to give the lure the proper action.

Elswhere I posted about sailing boat lures based on 50 year old designs when boats trolled at a more liesurely pace of 6 knots.

I'm investigating these as to their applicablility for yaks. The seller thinks they will work as low as 4 anyway. Within the range of short spurts with Hobie's new Turbo Mirage drive, or those with high speed paddle yaks. Certainly those equipted with a decent sail system.

In the meantime I had another idea.

If your water sking behind the tow boat you can generate twice as much speed(+++??) by slanting off at angle, then cutting back, etc.

What if you could design a lure that does the same thing? You tow it an angle. It takes off screaming up to about amidships, slows and drops back astern of you where the drag then increases, it takes off again, etc.

You get a lure that screams (for a short run) at six knots like a bait fish trying to escape, slows, repeats atc. All while your only doing 3 knots or less.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Ought to drive pelagics nuts.

Maybe it will require some sort of bridle system, angular shape head, a combination, factor X??

I'm going to experiment with some broom stick pieces and will report later. In the meantime if you know of anything close to what I have described please post. Or run your own experiments.

Post subject: Planer boards?
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Aren't there floating planer boards designed to take your line out away from your boat to widen trolling paths and avoid spooking fish by trolling on top of them? I think they must incorporate some kind of line release mechanism when fish hit the lures trolling behind the planer boards.

I don't know if they demonstrate the water-skier-cutting-across speed you are looking for, but they might be a start.

Enjoy your posts.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:05 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Stockton

A "bird". planner board etc. goes out there and stays. Something very useful when sailing. I'm planning on using one when I get the sail equation worked out.

But Josh on KFS came up with this site:

http://www.bulletbobber.com/default.asp

Some great stuff in there for you as a Delta fisherman.

And for me?

Check the sketch and description under #9 on "Top ten reasons."

If this works as decribed it's going to change some stuff while trolling at low kayak speeds on open ocean. All IMHO.

Anyway I order a few to test. Certainly cheap enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I caught lots of fish trolling regular bait casting lures -- mostly spoons -- behind a paddle-powered yak in Biscayne Bay. I was in a Cobra Fish N Dive so you know I wasn't trolling fast.