Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are there any plans in the works to offer a reefable mainsail option and a spinnaker kit for the Getaway, as currently offered for the Wave?

If not, what alternatives are available? Would it be possible to use a Wave's zippered mainsail on a Getaway to reduce sail area (maybe in conjunction with head and/or clew leaders)?

Could I modify an H16 or other spinnaker kit for the Getaway?

Only happy when tinkering,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Six months later I'll answer my own questions...

No, there isn't a Getaway spinnaker kit, but there may be soon.

Yes, you can--and I did--modify an H16 spinnaker kit for the Getaway.

See my recent post elsewhere in this forum for details, and check out my web page for photos and more details.

No, you probably can't install a zipper in the Getaway's main.

A reefable version of the Getaway's (boomless) mainsail would be problematic. I researched and pondered this quite a bit--I wanted to try to install a zipper similar to the system used on the Wave & Trifoiler sails--but ultimately my sailmaker and I decided not to attempt it. The reason has mainly to do with the cut of the Getaway's main: it has a large roach and a curved foot. If you were to make a horizontal cut and remove a section from the bottom of the sail, the foot of the reduced sail would be significantly longer than the tack-clew distance of the original sail. This would totally throw off your sheeting angle, not allowing you to control the flatness and twist of the "reefed" sail.

Yes, you can use the Wave's zippered main for a reefing option.

Since the Wave's main is more triangular in shape, the zipper-reefing method works well; sheeting angle isn't significantly affected by removing a bottom panel. It also turns out that the foot length of the Wave main is only slightly shorter than the Getaway main's tack-clew distance. I went ahead and bought one and, with the use of pendants to extend the halyard (and allow use of the halyard locking hook), it works well. Check out my web page for photos and more details.

Only happy when tinkering and spending money,

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am very interested in reefing or using the wave sail. Not for myself of course but for others that might want to sail my boat. How did that work out for you? Do you have any pictures? And how exactly did you modify the halyard?

thanks,
han

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Han,
Go to Steve's new site for his wave sail

http://steve.skybeach.org/sailing_files/sailing2.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, Steve's been busy. So a Wave sail works just fine with a "pendant" on the halyard. One question, what is a pendant? Is it a nicopress on a wire halyard? Or some other stopper for the mast top hook? Something that could be compressed around the line eh?

I also want to build a sail tube just like Steve's

Han

Post subject: Steves Spinnaker etc.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve: What are the modified dimensions of the h16 spin for the Getaway?
Also, do you think your H16 jib block travellers were worth the cost or did you decide you needed them more since you are using your spin? Lastly, do you suppose that your bent mast had/has anything to do with adding your spinnaker? Thanks for all your info and research/mods on your Getaway.
Oh, one more thing. When you set up your bent mast for repair I assume you took off the comp tip right? How far along the mast track did you run the aluminum stock(full length)?
Thanks,
JJP(Tanglefoot3)

If you ever get up to Southwestern Ontario, Canada and want to try getting trashed on Lake Huron just let us know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@V-Ray11:

I made my Getaway sail reefable. I think zipper is problematic (lot of stress on that). The sailmaker just reinforced above the second batten and installed some eyelets including large ones for new tack and clew. I have a modified mast (H16 aluminum with 2:1 halyard and cam cleat at bottom) so I can lower main while underway. I roll it up around itself and use a 3' climbing sling (1/2 webbing loop) to both hold up clew of reefed sail as well as attach the main sheet hook.

It's not perfect and I'm sure I've changed my sail shape a lot (no more being able to control how far along foot the mainsheet attaches) but honestly it's not important when reefing. When reefing the biggest deal is shortening sail and this probably loses about 40% of sail area and more importantly makes that area much lower to water level.

I can dig up some pictures if you want.

(Just noticed this thread is like 20 years old so perhaps no longer relevant but maybe it is, my boat is from 2006 and I just added the reef last year.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey esquid!
I had reefing points put in my Getaway sail a few years ago. It works well, and I get plenty of "outhaul" on my sail using the added reefing grommet for the mainsheet. I use a rope, not a sling, but I might try that. I've got a pile of retired climbing gear that I use for utilitarian stuff.

Too many canoes and kayaks