Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great, I'll make sure to let you know when I'm going to be there, no plans in the near future but you never know. Being retired has many advantages.

Are you coming to Portland, OR area in the near future? Let me know and can plan a trip in my TI.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What are you guys meaning by tying the furling sheet to the mainsheet? Could you post a picture or a video showing what you are doing? I'm not understanding why you need to tie them together.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I originally set up my boat, I make a permanent loop in the sheetline, partially so it cannot be pulled out through its cleat.

When I setup to sail, I tie the reefing line to it, usually with 3 half-hitches.

When sailing, I keep the sheetline on my right, going over my right thigh with all the excess line between my legs on the hatch. both lines can then be located quickly and reached without leaving the seat.

There is a slight chance of entanglement someday, so always carry a knife on your PFD.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I see, it's continuous now, like a trolley line.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is this correct Bob? Do you take all the slack out between the lines?

On the AI, I would need to shorten my sheet line quite a bit to do this. Does it work on the TI?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The extra slack rope is just loose between my legs on the hatch cover. Depending on how much the sail is reefed and what direction you're sailing compared to the wind, will depend on how much "extra" line there is.

I wouldn't shorten any lines. When we replaced the reefing (yellow) line on our early AI's we actually bought it about one foot longer.

Works well on TI's as well as AI's, although on the TI, you can end up with a lot of line between your knees when the sail is completely out if you rig the sail lines for 3:1.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I try to keep the decks clear by stowing the extra line in the starboard mesh pocket. When running close hauled no need to adjust the sheet, just head up or fall off to keep the sail full. I haven't raced my TI so not sure how messy I'd be if I were trying to hit marks with max efficiency.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TxYackMan wrote:
Ditto, tied main sheet to furling and both are factory length. No major issues. I did add a wedge to the furling cleat which helps for seating the furling line from the back.

Do you happen to know the Harken partnumber of this wedge?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

See here:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=27537&hilit=wedge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TxYackMan wrote:

ahh, Harken Model #: 297 (Hobie partnumbers are useless here :wink: )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My front seater isn't quite strong enough to furl in heavy weather, so I added three cheek blocks, a new harken cam cleat, and a longer furling line. I also replaced the sheet with a higher quality line and found it runs much smoother, which was a problem since I switched to 3:1.
See pics...

Cheers,

J

the TI3 rear ama mod

Last edited by kayakman7 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

kayakman7, I like that setup - I'm sure my front seater would be quite happy to see that addition to our TI.

Are the cheek blocks and the cam cleat the same model as used elsewhere on the boat?

What are the specs of the line you used?

I notice that the front aka is predrilled on the port side but the rear is not - any treatment necessary after drilling holes in it to prevent corrosion?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like it too. And putting that furling line out of the way, against the hull has other advantages.

As someone who hikes in and out of the front cockpit all day, I am getting tired of tripping over this tightened line in its factory position. More importantly, it could very easily tangle a foot or leg during a capsize.

Does this mod make it harder to manage the sheet and furling line at the same time?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

thanks!

Quote:
Does this mod make it harder to manage the sheet and furling line at the same time?

easier, i found that slight tension is nescessary to prevent tangles and to keep the line from fouling the furling drum, so one hand is pulling on the sheet and one is slightly holding the furler line. when furling, i just release the sheet and pull like crazy on the furler. furling has actually gotten a little easier and i've had less fouling.

I mounted the final cheek block as high as possible to prevent fouling in the furler and i may still add a wedge to raise it further. i have about a quarter inch of space between the furler and the mast bearing plate.
Quote:
Are the cheek blocks and the cam cleat the same model as used elsewhere on the boat?

yes. had to special order the wedge underneath the cam from Hobie, the rest was off the shelf from west marine (or defender.com). i matched the bolt length with the existing cams but you definately need the wedge or it interferes when removing/ installing the akas.
Quote:
What are the specs of the line you used?

it's 7mm racing line, on clearance at the local west marine. i paid $.44/foot but it's worth about $4/foot. it's slightly larger than the the stock furling line and the same as the sheet.
I'm still thinking of buying both whole rolls, lol
Quote:
I notice that the front aka is predrilled on the port side but the rear is not - any treatment necessary after drilling holes in it to prevent corrosion?

i drilled and tapped new holes, with blue locktite to do double duty on corrosion and prevent slip.

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

J,

I am thinking about trying to route my line down the starboard side instead of the port side as you did. I have a chart plotter mounted on the port side that may be a bit close for comfort when pulling the furling line.

Do you recall anything from your experience that would indicate this would be a bad idea? Sorry if there is something obvious that would indicate so (like interference with the main sheet), I'm waiting on a parts order and haven't went out to the boat and looked and thought hard on the subject yet.

Thanks, Herb