Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am about to add an accessory holder on my i14T for my GPS so that I can see it while kayak-sailing and so that it isn't banging around loose on the deck.

My question is this: the embedded nuts fall out sometimes when I place them in the recesses, I am worried that this will happen after I apply the to glue the plate and start sticking it to the deck. Any tricks to make sure all 4 nuts remain in the right place so there will be something for the bolts to bolt to? Another stupid question :oops: the nuts have two different sides... which side goes where?

I will add photos after I am done. In retrospect, this is a costly addition when you add together the cost of the accessory holder ($24), the RAM side/deck mount ($9.50), the RAM wedge mount ($14.90), the RAM Socket Arm ($11.95) and finally the cradle and diamond plate with 1" ball for the GPS ($12.00). I had the items shipped from 3 different companies so there were a lot of shipping charges too!

Feathercraft Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HOw are you going to get all that on one plate?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Thinwater,

These components are made to fit together. You can configure them to hold all kinds of things -- fishing poles, cameras, GPS, etc. My set-up is for the GPS. The question is not how will I get it onto the plate, but will the plate's glue be solid enough to hold the 2-3 lbs it all weighs. I will attach a gear-keeper to the GPS so should the set-up fail, I won't lose my $300+ GPS on the bottom of a lake. I have the Garmin GPSmaps 60CSx for which I have a mount on my bike, in my car and soon on my i14T! Pretty versatile, no?

Feathercraft Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For anyone interested in mounting a GPS on your inflatable Mirage Kayak, I thought I would post a couple photos and provide a few tips.

Image Image

This set-up includes the i-accessory plate to which I bolted (using 1" 1/4 x 20 bolts which were not included) the side/deck mount. In the hole of the side/deck mount, I inserted the Ram mast tube wedge mount 1". To that I clamped RAM Mount Aluminum 3.0 inch Standard Length Dual 1.0 inch socket arm. The GPS cradle with 1" ball, is attached to the other end of the socket arm.

For the glue: I pumped up the boat, sat in it and placed the mount in different positions (with duct tape) until I found a position that interfered the least with paddling (note that it is intentionally glued on the inside half of the deck rather than in the middle). I drew the outline of the i-accessory plate on the deck of the boat with a pencil. With the side/deck mount bolted to the i-accessory plate (hence the nuts would not fall loose during the process), I applied the glue and then stuck it to the area I had chosen. I let the glue set for 24 hours before folding up the boat. I realize that this isn't "rocket science" but it might help someone wanting to do the same kind of set-up. Perhaps others have found methods that they would like to share?

I kayak-sailed today in rough conditions. Once the GPS was in the cradle & mounted, I used a Hobie "gear-keeper" to attach it to the boat in case the mount was to break or un-stick (I am confident in my creation, eh?). I was very happy with the results. I could see the screen of the GPS at all times. Mission accomplished!

cheers

Feathercraft Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the picts and explaination.... Now I better understand what you were asking...