Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, Does anyone have experience with the "UpRight" righting system? I like the idea that it is made for one person. I sail a 1981 Hobie 18, and am considering purchasing this system.

Below is a link to view the system:
http://shop.foghmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,28.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's been discussed on the forums in the past. Some things to consider...

The H18 does not have a captive mast step. This system relys on a cable around the dolphin striker and up to the mast to hold the mast base to the front crossbar when you loosen the shroud. Also, re-connecting the loosened shroud single handed may be difficult when sailing in rough conditions. This system will not aid in righting a turtled boat.

My personal opinion, I don't like the idea of messing with my rigging while under way - seems risky to say the least. Although several sailors have reported having success with this system.

A righting water bag or a righting pole may be other options worth considering.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My wife and I had a very bad experience trying to right our 18 our rookie season (half an hour in cold water for her and 2 broken ribs for me) As a result I installed this system on my shop's reccomendation. I've since added a righting bag and a bungee (Hawaiian?) system.

If push ever comes to shove this would be the third one I'd try. First off getting to the upper pin to pull it might not be easy. It'll be 8 feet above the water and on the other side of the tramp. I guess this would be when you hope it turtles. Second if your rig is tight that pin might not come out very easily. You ve alot less leverage in the water. Third, as mentioned, the foot could come loose so keep a hinge pin (#2 Phillips) with you for re-steping the mast. Fourth those quick pins freeze up if you don't keep WD40 on them all the time.

I'd buy a bag or build an EZ-right.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ditto on that...I have one of the shroud extender systems in my attic that I will sell you cheap.. I use a righting pole. I tried a righting bag too ...but at 175 lbs, it only worked in some favorable conditions, and it takes a surprisingly long time to fill the bag to max capacity ( don't even think about getting anything but the huge bag) and getting it hoisted into the right position. Most people I know cannot handle a 100 plus pound dead weight mass standing on the shore, let alone standing on a wet hulll that's moving under your feet. Yes, Virginia I said 100 plus pounds. The bag has to be as heavy as your missing crew, and that bag doesn't work just hanging straight down. The bag has to be projected outboard by your body into the same relative position your crew would be in if they were there, while you get your body into that same 45 degree or greater position. .
While waiting for help form my friends ( before I built my pole, I never used to sail solo without competent help around) I have righted my 18 with SX wings on it many times, without anything assisting me but a properly positioned boat, sails, the right gust and a heave from a wave....but for consistent one man righting in any and all conditions the pole is the way to go.
You can make your own out of 1 1/2" ridgid aluminum conduit that you can buy at any electrical supply store for around $30, with some wood and carpeted pads on both ends that only add another $20 to the total project ..look around this forum for ideas.
Some righting pole systems that work great are designed to be used by two people, others like the soloright ( that you can see in action on youtube) require you to still use the righting line and be pretty darn agile.
A lot of us have taken up this one man righting quest. Some use what they have because they haven't gone through all the options I have, many because they are just heavy enough to make other methods work, but having tried most of them( someone is always hawking a new product) I am now very satisfied with my inexpensive and very effective home made pole.
I hope I have saved you some of the headaches and wasted money I went through to get where I am.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for the awesome responses!

After reading your comments, I am definitely not going to but this system.

We flipped out H18 two days ago for the first time. Were able to right it using just a rope attached to the dolphin striker and thrown over the hull. I was initially concerned because we are both light weights, but it seemed not to be a problem.

Thank you