Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey guys Newbie here.

Lost my Hobie 18 to Hurricane Fran in 1996 and finally got around to getting back in the game with a "new" old H-16 last weekend.

I've done a ton of sailing around the NC coast where I grew up but now live it Raleigh. Anyone have good recommendations for the best place to lake sail near by? I'd like to get a few test drives in before I jump back into ocean sailing.

Appreciate the help. Great site - wish there we more hobies around these days. Seems like they were everywhere when I was a kid. Glad to see you folks keeping it going!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jordan is large and open enough that it generally has a good amount of wind moving across the main body of water. I'd surely think it would be a great place to sail.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks! Any idea what location is the best place to launch from on Jordan?

Anybody tried Falls lake /Rolling View area?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I always launch at Vista Point on Jordan Lake. It hasn't been maintained too well lately but you can launch at a beach where you can rig and set up chairs, etc. Vista Point is on the west side of the lake. Take Hwy64 across the lake and up the hill until you reach a traffic light with a gas station on the far right corner, a storage facility on the near right corner. Turn left at the light and follow that road right to the park.

There is another great sailing lake north of Raleigh (not Falls Lake) called Kerr Lake, also known as Buggs Island Lake. Jordan is about 14000 acres and Kerr is 50000 acres. It is the largest lake in Virginia and extends down into NC around 6 miles. I would sail there but it is just too far from me, over 130 miles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vista Point can be good but you have to watch the wind forecasts closely. This one is good, especially the 3-day history. Most of wind at Jordan happens between 10:30 and 3:30. The 3-day history is good for looking back and comparing forecasts to what actually happened. Most of time when they forecast 5-10 mph it can be a fair day, but there are days with that forecast when it can be a dud.

Henderson Point at Kerr is the sandy launch site. Most of the ramps at area lakes are surrounded by riprap and bad for cat launching. Not bothered with Falls because of size.

What beach do you sail from?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey welcome - will be great to have another beach cat at JOrdan. PM me when you are planning on heading out and maybe we can meet up at Jordan. Vista is the most cat freindly launch point for sure

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Drummer - If the weather is nice I might head up to Vista Point on Saturday with the kids.

JJ - Thanks for the link! That's good one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JJ wrote:
What beach do you sail from?

My parents have a house on the beach in the Wilmington area. It's great fun to sail down there but it's a ton of work to get the cat on the beach. I miss the days when I could just leave it out there all summer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

figured I might as well hijack this old thread, if anyone is free on weekdays for the next few months, I'm usually up for bringing my boat out to Falls, Jordan, or Kerr lake to sail around with another boat.