Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Since I have converted my 18 to a tramp launch spin, my tramp has way too much clutter with the jib sheet, and spin sheets and haylard on it. I have been considering ways to solve this problem. My best idea so far is a self tacking jib, I think.

The Harken jib track and traveler car are very nice, but very expensive. I am not really wanting to drop $1,000 on this mod. So, I have been forced to resort to making this at home.

The idea is simple, I can easily make a round bar SS track at home. I have the tools to give it a proper radius and a TIG to make related brackets. I understand my radius is based off the forestay and my track should be mounted perpendicular to it. How long are F-18 tracks?

I am still thinking on how best to do the traveler. I could do something as simple as a SS ring around the track or a block that would ride the track, but I wanted to know if anyone has built something better than that at home or has a better idea.

I am thinking of going with this layout, the 2:1
http://www.harken.com/rigtips/SelfTackJibsStaysails.php

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got your message, my system is no longer for sale.

What you suggest is more complicated than you imagine. The traveler track must also move up and down in relation to the crossbar and you will need a custom jib sail, F18 sail will not fit properly. You also need to adjust the distance the traveler moves along the track. All this must be fitted to the curved beam of the H18. That was hard enough for me with a properly manufactured self-tacking system, the engineers on catsailor said it could not be done. I figured it out but it took some serious thought and fitment.
I would suggest you create a mid-pole snuffer system for the spin and get it off the tramp. This would be much easier since you just need to create a hoop and sew a bag.
I can provide you with the measurement of the traveler track if you still want it. My boat is in the yard currently.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am not concerned with making the track or attaching it at the correct angle. I figured i need a new jib anyways. I figured i would get a ugly jib off ebay to experiment with and het a new one after i had it figured out. There is a sail shop 5charge min from my house and the guy there is super cool to work with and I am sure we would be able to figure the sail cut out.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The track will need a minimum of 4 feet attached to the crossbar. How will a ring slide past the feet? My track has 6 feet but I only used the outer 4. The pull on the track is pretty substantial, especially when sheeted hard going to weather. Stainless bends very easily. Aluminum would be a better choice but after welding it would require heat treating.

You are not going to find folks here that have done this modification. As far as I know there are only 2 H18's in the states that have converted to self tacking jibs, me and "Jack Flash". We both have used systems from F18s or I20s. Both boats are also running the SX masts which have longer forestays allowing the sail to be run higher for better purchase angle.

If you do it take pics and keep notes. Its more than worth it to convert as it really makes the tramp clean. I would still change your spin to mid-pole, so much easier to work with.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I found the harken track for a reasonable price off of a tornado. I will go with that.

A mid-pole snuffer is also on my list. Again looking for used parts.would you say that a mid-pole would be faster or slower to rig?

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Probably no faster to rig but definately faster for launching and retrieving the spin.
You will find that a separate line for the tack is better than the pulley method, gives more control of the spin. I would suggest you add a grommet on the tramp for your retrieval line and a twingline block at the rear x-bar to keep the halyard/retrieval line from twisting.
I started with an endpole snuffer system and it was ok but the mid-pole is cleaner and easier to work with. I stuck the hoop in a wave and snapped the pole so went mid-pole after that. You don't want to deal with a snuffer head in the water while trying to power out thru waves, pretty scary!
Since you have a pole allready I suggest you look at the "Snu" snuffer. It is highly recommended by the F18 crowd, a bit pricey though. You could also create your own, I have seen several nice homemade snuffers. There are pics of my setup on this site.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ended up replacing my 18 with an N20 so I wanted to follow up on this thread with my thoughts now that I have self tacking and a mid-pole.

The mid-pole is the way to go for my problem. Compared to the bag launch the mid-pole does an excellent job of cleaning the tramp off.

The self tacking system is nice, but now in hind sight I would probably not do that mod to the H18.

2010 AHPC C2 #218