Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sculpper Plugs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

After a lot of consideration, I finally brought my new PA home Tuesday evening!!!

I know I have 6 sculpper holes in the yak, but it only cam with 2 sculpper plugs.
When I asked the salesgirl, she said that's all it comes with...

Maybe I'm spoiled, but when I got my WS Ride135 and a couple other yaks, I got plugs for all the sculppers...
Did I get short changed?

God Bless,
Doc S

Post subject: Re: Sculpper Plugs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congratulations on your new PA! You made the right choice -- you are going to love it.

My PA only came with two plugs for the scuppers in the rear deck. The scuppers under the seat have screw in plugs. At a minimum, I think you want to have the four forward scuppers open to allow any water that enters the the cockpit area to leave the boat. Even in calm water, I would advise against plugging all your scuppers and solely depending on the drivewell to evacuate water. With the drive in place, I don't think the water will flow out of the cockpit at an acceptable rate. Very little water enters through the front scuppers -- most comes from the flooded drivewell -- and water that enters that front area is isolated in its own pan. There are segregated pans for the seat/equipment side trays, and the rear deck. Most of the water that enters my boat comes from the flooded drivewell, so this is an area where I think you want good drainage. Why would you want to plug all of your scuppers?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Right from the dealer, to my truck then to the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels...

I put the drive in, jumpped in and tested it out...
I had some water splashing in the forwardmost sculppers.
I don't know if that's normal...
I'm about 260lbs...

I was just wondering...

Anyway, My 160lbs son jumpped on the back and we rode around together!!!

He's jealous, so I guess I'll probably be getting an outback pretty soon as well...
I'm selling my WS Ride 135 tonight...

Hopefully, I'll get it out this weekend to fish one of our local lakes (calaveras) in the San Antonio area...

God Bless,
Doc S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 09 PA and have never used the plugs, don't need them. I can't ever remember enough water getting in the PA to alarm me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's my experience, too. I usually have water right about to the top of the front scuppers, but I never have much water come into the boat. What does, goes right back out the scuppers. Works perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Pro Angler is an extremely dry kayak on anything 2 ft waves and under. Originally when I got mine I weighed over 300 lbs and never had an issue with water coming in (Thank God and NurtiSystem, I have lost a lot of that).

You want your scuppers open to drain water out. I go thru some big surfs getting out offshore and quite often have surf wave crash over the bow and fill my cockpit with water. It all drains very quickly because I have all the scuppers in the yak open (even the ones under the seat).

Hope this helps and good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Part of the advantage offered by a sit on top boat with open scuppers is that it's very difficult to swamp one. Plug all the scuppers and suddenly it becomes quite easy to swamp one.

I suspect Hobie includes two for the rear cargo area suppers - just to keep foam and such from glugging up into that area. Otherwise, leave the main scuppers in the drive well area open. It's normal for water to come and go in there and it won't hurt a thing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Doc S. As Tom says, if you close up your scuppers, you add to the probability of your PA becoming unstable with the added weight of fluids that you will be retaining. Wouldn't want to hear of that happening to you. Congrats on your choice!! Regards......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had a couple opportunities to get it out...

Seems like I thought I was getting more water in when I "test drove it" than I initially thought.
It is a dry ride...

When I was in my WS Ride 135, water would pour in the sculpper holes if I didn't use the plugs (I'm about 260)...

I have to say I love this Kayak!!!

I may take it to the Gulf Coast this weekend (Corpus Christi area) and see how hard it is to launch off the beach for a little BTB fishing!!!

God Bless,
Doc S