Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just installed a H16 Spinnaker kit with snuffer. The original 1 page instructions were alot to be desired where we had to call Hobie a few times to get some guidance which was helpful. Flew the spinnaker on Saturday in 10 to 15 winds. What a hoot on the reach. WOW!!!

I am still adjusting but this is what we did. I worked with the local hobie dealer to install. They were very helpful and had the tools.

Modified the upper mast attachment with a yoke attached to the back end of the float ("alien radar") bracket. The loop extends below the jam cleat. The halyard pulley is about 18 inches from the top.

Attached the spinnaker pole to the main cross bar. Had to bend the bracket so it would fit the curvature of the crossbar. Tied the spinnaker pole briddles to the outer edges of the front crossbar. Tied a line under the jib furler so the pole was about an inch below the furler.

Installed the spinnaker halyard cleat about 9 inches from the center of the mast ball. Installed the spinnaker halyard pulley about 4 inches from center.

For right now, I tied the free rolling cleat to the front side of the wing bracket. I tied the jam pulley to the base of the side stay. These will be permanently attached later. I may get a bigger jib with a track near the cooler area where I will attach the jam pulley.

Attached all the lines to the sails and pulleys as described in the picture instructions. The line that goes through the bag does NOT go under the main crossbar but over the crossbar.

Tested on the beach and then went out for a sail. WOW

How to deploy: Put main traveler all the way out. Pull the main all the way in and make sure it is cleated good. This will act as a back stay. Do not let the main out like you normally would going downwind. Now point the boat directly downwind. Deploy the chute. Then turn the boat slowly to a reach and watch the boat take off. WOW

Hope this helps some of you looking to put a spinnaker onto a Getaway.
I race alot against monoslugs on Grapevine Lake, TX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you know what the spinny's measurements are?

Post subject: spinnaker size
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do not know what the measurements are. The spinnaker is the full size spinnaker that comes with the hobie 16 kit.

Still learning how to sail the spinnaker.
Had a tough time getting the spinnaker back into the bag.
Adjusted the location of the blocks which worked well. Put the small block on the small front wing support bar and the big block onto the side stay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How is that spinny working for you? How long is your pole? What kind of winds have you been sailing and with what success?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Went to MidAmericas Regatta. Got some help on setup of Spinnaker. Put the rachet block on the front wing mount and the small block on the small wing support. Raced with Hobie 16's in 10 to 15 winds. I was able to maintain speed and pointed a little higher going upwind. I was able to reach without the spinnaker where the 16's were a little faster. When I first got the spinnaker I was told to sail without the jib until I felt comfortable with the spinnaker so that is what I did. When using the spinnaker I was able to maintain speed with the 16's. In 3 races I was able to finish right behind the pack. One finish I had 20 boats starting and had to find a slot to finish through.

This weekend I think I will race with the jib and spinnaker.

Post subject: spinnaker measurements
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tack to Clew 124in = 10ft4in
Head to Tack 293.5in = 24ft5.5in
Head to Clew 265in = 10ft1in

Still learning how to sail the spinnaker. Read Catamaran Racing for the 90's which gave some insight on how to handle the spinnaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fixed the block system so I can get a better angle to the locking block. I took the smaller non locking block and tied two lines to it. The block on the left side of the boat is placed about 1 foot from the mast crossbar toward the bow. One line is tied to the left front of the front tramp. The other line is tied to the right front on the opposite side of the front tramp. The same is done for the block on the right side. This works much better. Soon I will have pictures.

Post subject: Pitch Pole and Turtled
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Who says you can't pitch pole a getaway and turtle it?
I was out racing by myself on a screaming reach with no spinnaker.
Winds were 15 to 20 gusting to 25. Pictures soon.
The boat came down on me and I had to swim out from under it.
I got on top, released the righting pole, and then stood on the wing.
The bob or alien radar helped get the boat out of a turtle position.
Al came by on his wind surfer and helped me right the boat.
The only damage to the boat was the alien lost his glued on eyes.
Started the next race and won.