Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keeping this short. My father is dying, he has about a year. He is an AVID sailer from 60ft cats to 50ft monohulls, and he has been sailing Hobie 16 boats since he was young. (as well as I) He is 70 and in perfect health (right now) and is strong as an OX (ex Navy) He has a bucket list, and I am going to make sure he has EVERY ONE of the items marked off his list before he gets sick....

So here it is. He has always wanted to sail a Hobie 16 from West palm beach/ Miami to the Bahamas and back. This is just one of the items on his list.. I have a Hobie16 that is in AWESOME shape that is trailerable. So I am going to set this trip up for anytime in October/November of 2011

Is anyone interested in this trip with us??? or know of a regatta that is going to do this during these dates. We are flexible during these months, so we can work with anyone that is crazy enough to pull this off with us. WE ARE GOING TO DO IT with or without company from another Cat...

We will have a fully equiped Cat16 with GPS/Spot transmitters/ fully decked out for this run, I am just looking for people ballsy enough to pull this off with us, and to help ME make this happen for my father...

Please call me directly if interested @ 407-310-9412 or email me at [email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like a great & challenging trip for you and your dad.

I cannot go but I will offer another option. If you can get a powerboat to go along as a chase boat/safety boat that would greatly improve your options if something went wrong during the trip. Maybe someone would volunteer to tag along. Just an idea as I have seen where this was done on some other long distance Hobie trips listed on the forum.

Have a great trip and good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Call Mariner Sails in Dallas, 800-536-9463, http://www.mariner-sails.com and ask to speak with John Webster. He'a a multiple veteran of the Great Texas 300 catamaran endurance race (South Padre Island to Galveston) and at one time was organizing a trip from Florida to Cuba. He should prove to be a wealth of information. I wish the best of luck to you and your Dad.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A huge thanks for the info, I will give him a call. and if anyone on this board wants to run this with us, please speak up. I am going to do it regardless, with or without another boat, but I would prefer to do it with at least 1 other boat. I KNOW, there is someone on this board that wants an adventure. Basically sail to the bahamas, beach the boat, hit a few bars and crash in a hotel, then a few days later, take the hobie back to Florida (wind and weather dependent)

Thanks in advance for the help:)

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just talked to Mr. Webster and it looks like we are going to be attending the KeyWest to Cuba run in Novbember If he can make it happen. A huge thanks for the heads up on that run. THANKS AGAIN.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great! Let us all know how it all turns out.

God Bless.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any updates on this? If you look in the sailing subforum someone is trying to organize a trip just like this.