Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi guys I just received my trax 2 and was trying it on my 2010 revo, I read this thread (see link below) and the manual that comes with it.

When I tried it on I noticed a few things, first, when installed the tubes extend a bit more than what I have seen in the pictures, so the security pin is a couple of inches up from the deck, that is ok I guess. But here is what worries me, when I try to use the bushing clamps I slide them all the way to the bottom, then I insert the cart, and I can't get 3 points of contact in my cart (hull, and 2 bushings) So it appears that I have to choose between supporting the weight on the hull without bushings, or support the weight with the scupper holes using the bushings.

What would you guys recomend?
Thanks
Dan

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33397

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Three points of contact text is used to prevent people from jacking the boat up high on the clamps, so if you are already as low as it goes... you are good.

The posts sticking up high in the cockpit are perfect. The goal is to be sure the posts are clear through the scuppers, the boat rides as low as possible on the cart, but does not dent the mid section with the cross bar pad.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ok, good thanks for your help, so I'm good even if I don't get any contact at the hull, right?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Admin

No contact at the center of the hull bottom...yes. No problem if just supported by the clamps on the scuppers. That is the intention. The bottom is soft and does not fully support the cart load.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you sir 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The three points of contact rule is confusing. Any load on the unsupported hull bottom will dent it. I have been wheeling my Hobie's for the past 4 years long distances with the hull above the cart crossbar and have had zero scupper problems.
The most effective solution is to use Roadrunners tennis ball idea either in conjunction with the collars or alone. The balls mold to the scupper shape and spread the load- unlike the collars which often only touch on one side of the scupper. :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
The three points of contact rule is confusing. Any load on the unsupported hull bottom will dent it.

As long as you are supporting at the scuppers with the clamps or tennis balls, the crossbar will only be touching the center of he hull... will not dent it because all the load is on the scuppers.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I take your point Matt. The three points of contact works better with the clamps because they are solid and don't flex.
However the suspension from the balls makes it difficult to get that hull contact without distortion. I tried it when you first suggested the three point rule and for the first time got hull distortion. I went back to keeping the hull clear of the crossbar and have had no problems. I find the balls a much better solution than the clamps alone. :)