Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know good and relatively cost effective place to get new Hobie 17 sport sails. I will need both main and jib.
I will be getting the boat, but the sails that came with it are not really usable anymore.
I can also consider used sails if they are in good condition.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hobie-17-Mainsail-New-Design-/310338966771?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4841a4d4f3

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hobie-17-Jib-New-Design-/310338966775?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4841a4d4f7

Don't know if they are any good or race legal but they are cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Unfortunately not race legal :-(

I wish Hobie had a non-racer set that was cheaper...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Go new the used 17 main is a white whale.

Last edited by mckalem on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I apologize for hijacking this thread but I've offered mckalem a full refund minus $25 shipping for sail and battens. Sorry to do this, but I am not sure what else to do. He posted this before I got a chance to get back to him.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I found a used 17 sail in "good condition"... with "no delamination" a few weeks back and "only" $300... that said it is very close to de-lam and barely worth the $300... my next one will be new... the H-17 sails just do not age very well. :?

I have looked at half a dozen for sale 17's in my area and they ALL need a new sail...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not class legal shouldn't be a big deal for a H17Sport since it doesn't have a Hobie racing class (it's funny that the slower SE is the 'racing' class legal boat, while the faster Sport is the 'recreational' boat. I traded-up from the 'class legal' Hobie sails to a Pentex SuperR squaretop from Whirlwind http://www.whirlwindsails.com/. I say traded-up because the sail makes the boat much faster than the OME and the Pentex holds up longer than the mylar laminated sail. I got 4 seasons out of my mylar sail before it started to delaminate. I'm on my 7th season with the Pentex and still going strong. The $1200.00 price tag may keep some away, but if you have the need for speed.................... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fastcat wrote:
it's funny that the slower SE is the 'racing' class legal boat, while the faster Sport is the 'recreational' boat.

The SE is the racing class because the 17 was originally devised as a one-man uni-rig. The Sport was an afterthought that didn't come along until the 17 class was already well established.

I guarantee there are plenty of top 17 SE racers that will blow away the supposedly "faster" 17 Sport (especially if it's being sailed two up).

sm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

srm wrote:
fastcat wrote:
it's funny that the slower SE is the 'racing' class legal boat, while the faster Sport is the 'recreational' boat.

The SE is the racing class because the 17 was originally devised as a one-man uni-rig. The Sport was an afterthought that didn't come along until the 17 class was already well established.

I guarantee there are plenty of top 17 SE racers that will blow away the supposedly "faster" 17 Sport (especially if it's being sailed two up).

sm

+ 1 on that

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you sail in light (4-8 mph) wind the square top sail gives you a small advantage but in all other wind the Hobie sail will out perform the square top. I am on my 3rd season with a new Hobie main and sail quite often, It still looks like new. If you take proper care of it it should last a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can NOT agree that the OME sail is faster than the square top on any point of sail, in any conditions. I've sail both in low to high wind and the square top OUT PERFORMS the standard sail every time. I participated in a recent regatta against a veteran SE skipper (20+ years, who had also gone to nationals more than once) and who had a new OME Sail (#6615). In the 4 races he started he easily beat me at each start, by over 1 minute on one (I thought the 4 minute signal was the 5 minute one, oh well). In 2 races I passed him before the first mark, in one just after the first mark and in the 4th (the one I was over a minute late to start) just before the 2 mark and I never had to look back crossing the finish minutes ahead. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow you must be a great sailor!!! The square top must be superior if YOU say it is! btw did you race that veteran SE boat with your sport jib furled?
I have raced against a square top a few times and my opinion is that its fast in light wind and not so much in a blow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Wow you must be a great sailor!!!

Sarcasm noted. I have sailed Hobies for 28 years, 20-50 days/season in varing conditions. AND yes I hold my own, but it helps having a superior sail. Maybe the squaretop sailors you have sailed with are less experienced. Since I've sailed both types extensively, I feel I'm qualified to make the call, R U?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

fastcat wrote:
I feel I'm qualified to make the call

Its still just your opinion and not fact!
Here is a fact for you...
The Hobie 17 mast was not designed for use with a square top main.

whatever the case you like your sail...and I like mine...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just ordered a Kelly Hanson off eBay.... I feel a bit like a traitor, but the price was so good. We will see how the quality/shape is. I hope better than their communication, it took me 5 attempts (phone and email) to get a response about a couple simple questions I had...

I will be cruising this 17 so not worried about class legal.... BUT on that note....

There has got to be a TON of 17's with de-lammed sails that need a proper Hobie class legal sail... maybe a dealer would be willing to cut a large group some slack and we all order a nice new Hobie main?

Just an idea... maybe if would breathe new life into the 17 fleets out here in NorCal....