Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

"Its still just your opinion and not fact!
Here is a fact for you...
The Hobie 17 mast was not designed for use with a square top main."

It sounded like fastcat was explaining a fact to me - he was able to show better speed over a race course on a number of occasions, beating a well equipped and experienced sailor. What's to question? Doubtless the race records are there to be seen. In that event, it is more than opinion, it is a demonstrated fact.

The Hobie mast not designed for use with a square top main? Sure, that is probably right. But then Hobie cats were not meant to sail backwards either, even though that is a means of recovering from a failed tack. Taking technology beyond original design is a characteristic of developed countries.

Allow me to quote Eric Hoffer, noted American philosopher:
"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.

hobieandy, go get yerself a square top and sail faster!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

nope

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Next year I plan to race with my OME sails (6198) to see if it was the sails or the skipper, also they will be able to use Portsmouth #s to level the field. This year we proved the equipment, next year the skipper. I agree with hobieandy, he should stick to the standard sail, a man should know his limitations :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

see you at NAC next year at lake Mohave??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NAC - only if you can get there after one regatta. To be truthful, I enjoy the competition, but not the time, distance and energy it takes to do the regatta thing. Also I’m a bit of a ‘high’ wind junkie – if it ain’t blowin, I’m not goin. I live near a great place to sail, Wallula Gap. It is about as good as you can get for inland sailing; steady wind 5 – 25 most days, little current (it is on the Columbia River above McNairy Dam (Lake Wallula), good swell (2 – 4 ft), warm air temperatures (80 – 100 F in the summer), very little boat traffic (actually lonely at times), a mile wide, several miles long and very scenic.
Image 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would be into a group purchase of H17 sails if someone can get this to happen. Anything but pink.

As with every class of sailboat what really invigorates fleets is to go to a race.. A few years ago there were only a few 18 racing in Division 3.. now because of a few guys going to races and having some fun, others have rebuilt their 18's and now its a big fleet at all the races.

I have been sailing my 17 at Division 3 and MHRA races for three years and have yet to see another 17 at any race. That includes Northern Cal, Northern Nevada, and Oregon. BTW, MHRA doesn't care where you buy your parts.. build/rebuild/refit your boat and bring it. It's a great way to get in some more races before the 17 North Americans at Lake Mojave next year. By then you will really want that class legal sail.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has your kelly Hanson sail arrived? Thinking of getting one

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

for fastcat...this is a review of Mohave
Quote:
Reasonable chance of sailing nearly year round. Summer thermals from the south. Fall, Winter and Spring combination of thermal sailing and frontal activity. For the strongest winds look for a strong Santa Anna wind forecast for Southern California. But just about any week will see a minimum of 3 to 5 days of sailing with winds in the 12-20mph range in the afternoon. The wind tends to bump from 10:00am to 12:00pm then die for an hour or two then come back up from 2:00pm till 4:30pm. Frontal activity can boost winds into the upper 20's mph - 40's mph. Conditions can be a bit up and down to downright "holey". But compared to other lake sailing in the SW Mohave is pretty steady.

Air Temps are very hot in the summer months. Low triple digits. Nights in the upper 80's. The closer to the water you are the less the temperature fluctuates. UV index is very high. Bring your sunscreen and sun protective clothing. Protect against dehydration. Starting in October the days start to moderate to mid 90's and nights in the 60's. Winter days can be very cold. But generally 50's to 70's. Nights in the 30's and 50's. Moderating temperatures begin again in earnest in April. It snowed pretty heavily in January driving from Kingman, AZ to Searchlight, NV. So be prepared. Even with snow at the higher elevations the lake had 15 degrees warmer air temps.

Water Temps very comfortable from April to October. No less than 70 degrees. Summer water temps not more than high 70's. Always refreshing and comfortable when it is hot outside. Winter water temps in the low 50's. A good 5/4 steamer will do the trick. A hood or some sort of thermal barrier for the head is a good idea during winter months.
for a 5-day week of racing everyday, if you prefer the heavy stuff, looks like the odd are in your favor. :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKqJZw6dw_o[/youtube]
Hobie 2012 North American Championships
http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/default ... 814%2F0%2F

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

J_Eaton - MoHave Lake looks sweet, with winds similar to the GAP. I'll have to put it on my retirement tour I planning. Lately I've been sailing more and more at 3-Mile Canyon [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COcc6E2TgCc[/youtube] since camping has been shutdown at Wallula Gap. Three Mile Canyon can be a bit more of a challange because it can really blow and the ramps get huge. On the plus side there are more windsurfers and kiters to help right my boat if I need the help.