Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my recent holiday I stayed at the Jervis Bay Caravan Park which seemed so ideal for we AI's skippers I decided to leak the info.
The best scenario for those of us who like convenience or are a bit old & tired is to have your AI setup once and have it always ready for Sailing right by your accomodation and a good launch, JB Cara Park has all this and top-notch modern, clean Cabins with all modcons in a charming bush setting.

There is another local Cara Park on the water which looks conveniently close to the beach on Google Earth but it is a steep, 2-metre sand embankment to drag your AI down to the water and a nearly impossible climb back up without several ppl helping as the sand is very soft and there are no stairs or ramp of any kind.

JB Cara Park is right on Moona Moona Creek only Two Kliks upriver from the Bay itself, it always has a navigable channel even in the low tides I experienced in July and being wide does not have a strong tidal flow. I was always able to time my departures and returns so that I had a favourable tidal period and some days I just let the AI float down to the Pub on the Bay and back with some lazy pedalling.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Just wheel you Hobie out of the water, hose it down and go have a hot shower.

A safe place to park your AI right next to your cabin.

JB Cara Park in Top Center, Huskisson Inlet Bottom center.

Huskisson which is the bayside village at the mouth of the creek has a well-stocked and friendly Hobie dealer, an RSL with the best-cheapest meals I have ever seen, a Bakery with fantastic food that is open for breakfast at dawn and many other quality eateries.

Karen and Waylend, the park's owner's, care about their guests and are professional and friendly and the clean, modern Cabins have Rev/Air, large WS Telly with Austar and Endless Hot Water, yet are less to rent in mid-season than a motel far from the water, even less with a senior's card ;-)

JB Cara Park Net: http://www.jervisbaycaravanpark.com.au/

Contact JB Marine Rescue who have a control tower at the Husky Inlet VMR209 on fone # 44415433 for your Safety Watch and local conditions advice.

At Murray's Beach the Pelicans await the return of fishermen while a curious Wallaby checks us out.

There is so much to explore in JB that is only see-able by shallow draught craft like the AI and every cosy bay and inlet is in pristine condition and usually inhabited only by the Seals and Dolphins.
On the Third day near Callala Bay I had stopped looking for Whales yet I did notice what appeared to be a subsurface reef lifting the chop just a little ahead. I altered course to avoid it and looked elsewhere, when I looked again the "Reef" had moved? Then a flash of glossy black broke the surface for just a moment, It was indeed a Humpback Whale moving on a course opposite to mine and only 20 metres away, it was up-sun so I could not take a photo due to the surface reflection.
The Whale was not Blowing or Tailslapping, just cruising in the warm, shallow cove, yet there was something about glimpsing it's sedate, steady progress that made the creature even more mysterious and fascinating. I turned the Bow homewards, raised the Skeg, and ran 12 K's across the bay with a moderate following breeze and a sense of wonder and fulfillment.

Last edited by skymax on Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like a fantastic place. I really must get down there sometime. Don't you just love winter holidays in Australia!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice to see you back Max. I hope you're staying well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Nice to see you back Max. I hope you're staying well.

Cheers Chris, and to all forum Old Mates, I have had some more chemo and now I can Sail again :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Max,
What Chrisj said! :)
Good to see you finally got down to JB and thanks for the report.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Max. Great to hear your back sailing and hopefully on the mend.

Thanks for the report. I remember you were keen to get back down that way. It's certainly a magical place. What struck me was how 'healthy' the whole area seemed to be. I hope to get back there with the wife this year and your suggestion of Huskisson CP sound like a goer. Thanks mate.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Hey Max. Great to hear your back sailing and hopefully on the mend.

Thanks for the report. I remember you were keen to get back down that way. It's certainly a magical place. What struck me was how 'healthy' the whole area seemed to be. I hope to get back there with the wife this year and your suggestion of Huskisson CP sound like a goer. Thanks mate.

Cool, Oct-Nov is off-peak and I want to go back myself in those months.
It IS Healthy, and everyone I met in Husski was friendly and cheerful.
Are you man enough to tackle the Big breakfast at Husski Bakery, only $14!

AND, all boys love the Fleet Air Arm museum at Nowra.