Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repair storage pockets
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As all my Hobie Kayaks get older it seems the little mesh storage pockets always get very loose.

I took one apart to see if I could fix it. And it turns out to be easy to fix the pockets so they work just like new.

First remove all the phillips screws and remove the pocket from the boat.
Next carefully separate the plastic frame just at the ends so you can access the bungie cord (inside the top flap) easily. Now feel inside the flap to see if the 1/8 dia bungie cord is separated from one end or the other. On all the pockets I have repaired so far one end of the bungie had pulled out of the metal bracket that holds the bungie on each end. To remove the little metal clips you cut the very end of the sleeve at the very end then wiggle the metal clip out the end. I then took a screw driver and pliers and un-crimped the connector for use later (basically straightened it out).
Now wiggle the bungie cord out the open end of the pocket by pinching, and sliding alternately between your fingers to work the bungie cord out the end then tie a loose knot in the bungie about an inch in from the end so you don't loose it down the tube again while your working. Now inspect the end of the bungie, if is is bad shape just cut off the very end. If the bungie cord is very weak or frayed real bad it can be replaced (I have seen similar bungies at Walmart). Mine were all fine, they just needed re-connecting. Now take the metal clip that you repaired and crimp it carefully back onto the bungie cord. I used electrical crimpers, but I'm sure any pliers should work fine. Once crimped you can remove your temporary knot and slide the clip back into the sheeth and re-install the pocket back on to the boat, good as new.

After repairing I looked up replacement covers at Austin Kayak ( http://www.austinkayak.com/products/646 ... ments.html), they are $9.95 for a whole new pocket. Hardly seems worth it to try and repair them, just get new ones if they are badly worn. But it costs nothing to repair if just the bungie is broken, 20 minutes of my time. Weigh it out for yourself.
Bob

Bob

Last edited by fusioneng on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Fusioneng, great tip! I saved a couple of the old meshes -- hardly seemed right to throw them out. It will be nice to have a couple of fresh spares now! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can add map pockets too.

Some brilliant folk among us have installed spares in front of the mirage drive, where those ugly safety stickers are.

In the rear well, right behind the seat seems like a good location too.