Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is proper technique (assuming there is ONE person doing this) to right Hobie 17 after it goes turtle. Second question: I am 6'1"- will I be able to reach righting line while standing on lower hull (I have Easy Rite)

Thanks, Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've turtled my 16 many times and my new 17 a couple of times solo. Each capsize was in significant wind (15+) and 2-3 ft waves. I found that turtling can actually be a good thing. The boat is very stable when turtled, after all you have a 27 ft sea anchor under you, so take your time and get collected. Make sure that all your sheets are released and not fouled with the hiking stick. Also make sure your main traveler is all the way toward the leeward hull. Grab your righting line and stand on the leeward hull near the middle and lean back, and wait, and wait, and wait. It will seem like nothing is happening, but eventually the boat will come up on it's side. At this point I employ a righting bag (a modified large dry bag with a 4:1 tackle) to finish the righting (I store the bag under the tramp, secured with quick release buckels). As far as your 2nd question, I'm just over 6' and have no problems reaching the line. Hope this was of help 8)

Post subject: Long time
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Yep. They come up slow.

The hulls have to drift down wind as the mast and sails drag slower through the water.

It is CRITICAL to be standing in the leeward hull (you end up facing the wind). You sink the lee hull and raise the weather hull. As the weather hull gets higher you drift faster.

By the way... turtled in zero and light wind is tougher to recover from.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D I have righted my H-17 many times, solo, no bag, extender, etc. At 6ft, 2in and 190#. The stronger the wind, the easier it is to right. Wait, Wait, Wait, the wing acts as a damper, and slows the process. Always grab the dolphin striker as the boat starts to right. This will prevent cartwheel, and also allows the boat to rotate into the wind. It is normally easier to climb back on the boat over the stern.

Best righting, Hobie Jr at the 1990 Nationals in the Gorge. Last leg, just before the finish, turns over, grabs the dolphin striker, rights the boat, all in one motion, total time, less than 15 seconds. You had to be there.

Caleb Tarleton