Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The center 8" hatch in my 2009 Outback warps in hot weather. During cool weather there is no problem. But as the temperature warms one side tends to remain elevated when closed and it is very hard to latch completely. In conditions over 75 degrees, the entire right side will be so mis-aligned that the seal itself is above the hatch.

I've tried loosening the screws and re-setting the hatch, with no results.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

Silicone lube on the O-Ring? I suspect the warm weather would expand some part and just make it harder to close.

It is typical for the lid to settle tilted a bit. You have to press the high side down to seat completely, but that does not effect the seal. The seal is in a cylinder and will work in a variety of positions. Unlike a typical hatch which needs even compression all around the lid.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

coloradokid wrote:
Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?
Yea, ever since I got this new hull, I've had the same problem. Something in the newer model hatch design must have changed because the warping never happened on older models. A knowledgable person I talked to seemed to think the problem is related to the rubber seals that twist. My solution? Pound my fist on the side that sticks up and it seats down properly.

Last edited by Rnykster on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

coloradokid wrote:
The center 8" hatch in my 2009 Outback warps in hot weather.
If it looks like this...

...take a look at your seal. Could be that it is twisted, where part of it looks like this...

and another part looks like this...

Once the seal is straight and you have cleaned and re-lubed with silicone grease (better) or silicone spray as Matt says, it should work much better.

The fist solution works too! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I absolutely agree with Matt - go forth and lube those hatches! But be aware, not every lube that has the word silicone in it will work. Especially WD40.

The very best lube we have found so far is Danco's silicone faucet grease. You can find it at Home Depot. Here's a link to the stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

Do yourself a favor and pick some up. It works and will likely solve your hatch warping problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone. That is all good input.

I've cleaned and lubed the seals with the recommended silicon grease. Definitely made a difference with the problem hatch - it now only takes a light tap to seat it completely compared to the hammer blow required before.

The seal was not twisted, but it is very tight. I noticed this when greasing the seal on the back hatch. Where as it moved easily around the hatch, the front seal did not move at all. Not sure what that means. ??

If the grease doesn't keep it workable, will still consider taking the hatch out and then re-installing in different holes. Would do this on a warm day to make sure it operates in warm weather. Which makes me think that my next post would be to try to fix leaks in cold weather. :?