Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Houston texas 21 SE help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, very new to this and with all of the terminology around I am having a hard time getting things straight. Bought a 1989 21 SE hull number cmm0456h989, so i think that makes it hull 456. The original owner bolted on these big brackets front and back that where made to hold a battery in the front and trolling motor on the rear. So far I have taken all that off since I plan to fix all the holes and re paint the hulls. Is there any one in the Houston area that might take a little time to go over the boat with me and let me know what I have and what I might need? The sails are smith sails and I have additional main sails plus a spin that I am planning on selling and getting a new main and jib from whirlwind. I have sailed a 14 turbo for about 5 years as well as a nacra 5.0 in the 80's growing up, but it has been a while.
Thanks again!
[email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are a couple pics of the bars on then off. Still not sure what the curved rail witht he harken travel block is on the front. I have never seen this on a hobie before.

rear bar:

Front bar and battery box

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

poles and trolling motor removed:

front

rear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The front curved traveler is for a self tacting jib sail and the rear traveler has been extended with short pieces added on both sides.That is something I have wanted to do,nice. :D I have no idea what that steel bar in the front is unless some strange spinnaker pole setup or maybe some mast stepping system?
Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As you can see the last owner had to pull the boat out in a hurry as he had it set up and had to move it, so it all looks like a mess. This is where I really need the help to figure out what, and how to get it all straight. I want to have everything stream lined so that it will not take long to set it up once on location. The roller furler look pretty worn out but not sure. Planning on pulling the hulls this fall as soon as the temps here lower to the 75 degree area and painting them black with the top deck no skid areas in dark gray using interlux products. I know it will be hot, but I think it will look really good and having the wings will make it easy to tolerate. Will be selling the white smyth square top main and jib, as well as the additional sail and spin that I have to go through to be replaced by a set from Whirlwind Super R square in gray pentex. There are also some wood blocks in middle of each hull by the tramp so not really sure what those are for. Boat is set up to be sailed by one person so that might be an aid. I assume that by pulling each pin from the front and cross bar, that the hull will slip off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The front bar from what I understand had a big pole set up for the spin made from some sort of galvanized tubing for electrical wiring and a drilled out end cap that looks like it slipped over the rusted bolt and very heavy. I am not sure I will ever use a spin so just wanting to get it working perfect with the main and jib before I try to figure that out. I am not sure about the mast stepping part as the previous owner is burning the video on a flash drive of the system he has so I will find out. The other big use for the front bar was to hold a big deep cycle marine 12v battery to power the trolling motor in the rear.

I do ask how is the mast secured to the front cross bar ball? looks like it only uses a small pin? Looking at it I cant see how that would hold it in as it looks like it sets high and forward on the ball pocket. :?:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Set up time is about an hour for me,including loading the cooler :lol: I usually solo sail my boat and it is very forgiving and has a large "footprint" on the water,very stable.Clean up the "extra" that have been installed and patch the fiberglass.As far as painting the hulls,I have no experience there.
Good Luck,Bill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Eagle Creek last weekend :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

very nice stars and stripes!They look so nice and orderly when the mast is up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good luck with the boat it is a great boat and you will have a blast sailing it.Read all the posts here on this site it will answer lots of your questions, and even some that you havent though of yet. allso if you dont have them, download the assembly manual and the parts lists, from the facts section up above. They will help you to see what was supposed to go where, before the customization that was done on your boat.
happy sailing
Ted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, here we go. New set of sails ordered today so went to the boat and cleaned up the sail box to see what suprizes where there. Let me know if anyone is interested in any of this [email protected] . Would love for someone just to offer me a price for all of it and take it all..... :D

Sabre Spin in good shpe. Last oner said was never used. White with red and green edges. Corners stained from what looks like storage. No rips or repairs done:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

saber jib that looks like it has the roller as part of it. Looks in good shape and matches the spin with no tears or repairs:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ok, the smyth main square top that came with the hobie. Looks like it has had some battles. Don't really know what it is made of since I do not know any of this, has all battens. Mylar looks like it is coming off and sail is stained, there could be a way of cleaning but not sure. Looks very usable

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mylar covering :o

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

smyht jib that was on the boat. Looks like it is in really good shape, and clean! High score on this one!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next