Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Most of my early kayak adventures will be on relatively flat California freshwater rivers and lakes in warm weather; am I correct that a drysuit and suitable footwear would be appropriate / best outerwear?

I intend to begin exploring the California saltwater with classes, clinics, and guide trips; am I correct that a wetsuit (freedive suit with hooded top that can be turned down to the waist and booties) topped with a drysuit jacket and hat would be appropriate / best outerwear?

Saltwater wear also most appropriate / beat in colder weather or water regardless?

I will of course be wearing a pfd and have aother safety / survival gear / supplies.

Thanks for advising a newbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don’t know if you noticed but summer is upon us. You will be taking classes, they will suggest approved dress.

Swim trunks and a tee shirt is what I am wearing now.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am sure time will sort this all out, but I am trolling for some suggestions.

For shallow freshwater rivers and lake areas where I intend to wade I have some good breathable waders, which I can combo with a wading belt, spray jacket, various underlayers, and pfd.

For the ocean I have: a spray jacket and pfd. I intend to freedive fairly often, and also assume I will be in and out of the water for various reasons voluntary and otherwise.

To freedive I will wear a wetsuit, and all I have is an old heavy, stiff, 7mm job from my SCUBA days. If I get a modern and appropriate freedive wetsuit (probably a 3mm cheapie to be sure I still can and want to be active in the sport), will that work for ocean kayaking? Will other stuff be more appropriate (and if so, what)?

Yes, the classes will recommend something, but they are kayak fishing- oriented, not kayak freediving-and-fishing oriented. I have asked for their recommendations and they universally tout farmer john wetsuits with wetsuit tops and hoods for colder stuff.

My freediving sources are pointing me away from farmer johns toward a full suit with integral hood. I am not going to be able to buy both soon.

Then there are the drysuit advocates.

Newbie would appreciate words of wisdom. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First go to WalMart and pick up a set of Sterns waterproof and breathable jacket and pants. These will suffice as your splash gear in summer months. Also in the sporting goods department will be synthetic short and long sleeve shirts which are better than cotton because it dries quickly. Then to the men’s department for some board shorts.

Next go over to where the boating goods are at WalMart and pick up a short wetsuit. Stockton may be a little cooler than LA but try it out, it’s all I use.

Farmer John wetsuits are popular with kayak paddlers for arm movement, you pedal so don’t worry.

Colder stuff will take a while to get here with summer just starting. I would leave the heaver stuff alone till you need it.

Drysuit while keeping you dry do not keep you worm your old suite will due for now.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to those of you who asked what Crew (aka darn cat) thinks, but kayak wear, wetsuits, drysuits, and such are of little interest to Crew.

Crew believes that fish and other good things to eat should live in the water and, while it is acceptable for Captain to fish or tide pool to harvest things for Crew, it is contrary to the greater scheme of things for land creatures to get wet all over for any reason. Crew therefore resists baths, clearly with a religious fervor.

Crew and Captain have long since had to agree to disagree on what to wear. Crew seems to believe the creator gave us what we need and that wearing anything is to betray who and what we are; Crew therefore refuses – again apparently on religious grounds - to wear his uniform or even a collar. [Crew: Having been around the Captain in clothed times and not, however, Crew concedes that some things are better left unseen out of courtesy to those around us.]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the suggestions, Offroad.

Okay, WallyWorld: Stearns "waterproof / breathable suit". board shorts, pool noodles, no problem. No wetsuits. Synthetic fiber shirts and pants - will try elsewhere. So, some progress, still work to be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, bit the bullet. New wetsuit. 7mm, one-piece, 3X back entry Aqualung, plus separate hooded vest, told both super stretchy and non-confining. Suit a bit tight in the shoulders, but they tell me it will loosen up with use. Went in thinking a 3 mm but told I would freeze by two different shops. Both recommended basically the suit I bought; said they kayaked and freedived?dove? in the same suit, etc.

Also got dive gloves, suit and accessory hangers, and a large mesh duffle bag in which to haul everything around. Sticker shock. Have to go back for some pool time with the gear to figure out dive weights – they think I might need over 25 pounds! (Plus 5 more for saltwater.)

Together with an NRS paddling jacket, an inexpensive Stearns waterproof/breathable pant-and-jacket set, and my breathable Orvis chest waders, I guess I have covered my likely alternative needs and am out of excuses. See you on the water!

Crew (aka darn cat) did an amusing double-take when he saw the wetsuit hanging on my weight machine; thought I brought home a very dark and quiet stranger. (Crew: no, for a second I thought the old crab had finally molted!)