Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast pin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Every now and then I will notice my mast pin has worked it's way out and get in a panic to get it back in! There is no chance of the mast coming off the ball while all the stays are pinned in, in other words under-way right? 8)

Post subject: Re: Mast pin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a question too. Should a be taking the pin out when sailing?

I have my rig set up sloppy, the racing way, like ... really sloppy and I'm sure the mast can pop off the ball. I should have it tied down so it won't but I haven't done that yet. On other Hobies the advice was to remove the erection pin since if the mast falls off, for whatever reason, and is pinned on it can damage the crossmember or the mast, both of which are expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

With the rig loose that might be a problem, but with normal tension you could remove the pin when sailing. In or out is OK, but pin-in could also cause damage if a wire or fitting fails causing the mast to fall. I think most people leave them in.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am not sure what the post means by sloppy, thinking tilted aft more. I have also noted that in the post "bringing your mast up from forward of the boat" that he tightens his aft stays by taking in all slack on his main, very tight! I usually take up slack as much as I can on my forward stay when raising the mast just by leaning against it, seems tight enough? Question is should you need or use that much leverage, I notice the mast bounces around most in light winds and choppy conditions and have thought that can't be good, hints: that is why water stowage is hard on the Wave. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mast pin is for stepping up the mast. once its up you can remove it or leave it. it doesn't affect performance. i leave it in because i tend to forget when stepping down to put it back. now on a 16, you have to remove and have to remember to reinsert it. ahhhhh heck! :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Once time I forgor to remove the mast pin (it is actually a screw with a nut). After ten days of sailing (some days in high winds) when I was dissasembling my Wave I found the mast pin bended and some scratches on the ball. I had to replace it and I have never left it in since then. I use it only for stepping the mast.

Last edited by Bart on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
With the rig loose that might be a problem, but with normal tension you could remove the pin when sailing. In or out is OK, but pin-in could also cause damage if a wire or fitting fails causing the mast to fall. I think most people leave them in.

Take the pin out!

If you sail with a loose rig like most racers, simply loop the tail of the main halyard around the main beam and back to the cleat on the mast. That will prevent the mast from coming off the ball and still give you full rotation.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
That will prevent the mast from coming off the ball and still give you full rotation.

And... only an issue if you capsize. It will not come of the ball in sailing conditions.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

... and as a friendly reminder, a couple of weeks ago a buddy had a shroud break on his 17 and the mast fell down. None of that is all that surprising since he's had the boat over twenty years. But he had the mast pin in when this happened so the mast base was pulled out of the mast ripping out some of the mast and bending the bottom in places. The moral of this story is that it is a good idea to remove the mast erection pin when sailing.