Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: storage
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I get the impression that this subject has been beaten to death, but i haven't seen guidance documented. I have picked that it is prefered to store the AI (kayak only?) is upside down supported on the aka beams. What is wrong with storing the whole boat, folded up, with a cover, on some level grass or a wooden dock?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: storage
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's ok narwhal, all these issues get thrashed to death but it's good to review them every so often anyway. The problem is that by just sitting the bottom of the hull on a flat surface over time will deform the hull, especially if you are in a warm climate. The same issue occurs with leaving the AI on its cart for too long a period. The self weight is too great at the contact points. In saying this, if you devise a way of distributing the weight better by sitting the hull on tyre tubes or pool noodles or Hobie trailer cradles, there isn't a problem.

I don't know if you have used the search feature in the forum at all for past topics like this, but it's an excellent way to get a quick answer to your queries.

Where abouts are you sailing ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yep, all us newbies have to go through the process of learning about transportation, storage, rigging for fishing, photography, etc. This forum is such a great asset to us all. Here's my 2 cents on storage and transportation of my Tandem Island.

Not sure how well Hobie cradles distribute the weight since they're typically only a two point contact. I felt they cost a lot and had limited utility so I borrowed an idea DogsLife used on his trailer.

I built my trailer with an 8' long by 4' wide piece of Poly privacy lattice. I don't think you can get more a widely distributed support system with lower cost and ease of assembly. If I had to store my TI off the trailer I'd build just the base (4'x8' x3/4" plywood with two 4"x4"x8' beams supporting the lattice. It supports the hull and both amas. I'd then attach mounting brackets to strap it down and use a Garage Gator (220lb capacity) to hoist it up out of the way in my garage. Trick is finding a 4x8x18.5 clear vertical space in your garage. For me the trailer serves both purposes.

There are some details under another post:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=35829&start=0

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used a modified version of flaneur's posting here to make a cradle storing the AI upside down in my garage with a harken hoister. My version is at the bottom.
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=23018&p=153496#p153496

If you create a cradle, use interior supports that are lower in height than the height of the outside supports. Reason is that the middle of the AI has attachments that are higher than the fore and aft supports so when you turn it upside down the equipment in the middle of the boat gets "stuck" on the middle support when you move the boat. You can see the middle 2x4 in my picture at the bottom of the posting.

I lower the cradle onto the back of my truck, unhook the caribiners, secure the load and drive away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Slaughter wrote:
Where abouts are you sailing ?

N. Florida, USA