Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 18 wings
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and I have a house on a smaller private lake (approx. 250 acres) in central Illinois (I know - hard to believe in Illinois) and we are looking to buy a used 1982 Hobie 18. I have found one that sounds pretty well equiped in the Chicago area in our price range on this web site but it has no wings. It sounds like wings are not difficult to install from what I can read but I can't seem to find any used wings for sale. It sounds like you can still get new wings but its going to push me over my budget. Does anyone know where I can get some used wings and a kit to install them? I have been sailing since I was a kid but have never been a hobie cat. It sounds like the wings are really nice especially given the fact that I turn 42 this month. Hope to hear some good news. Thanks, Russ.

Post subject: Hobie 17
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Russ:

I Hobie 17 Sport may be a boat to look at. It has wings and I love mine.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The 17 sounds good but there are none for sale anywhere near the Chicago land area at this time that I know of. I live in the western suburbs. Our place on the lake is a weekend cabin. Will keep my eye out though as I am not necessarily married to the 18. It just seemed like there are quite a few around me - just none that are decent with wings. It sounds like I can buy new wings but it would cost close to $2,000 by the time I was done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

you don't necessarily need to have the wings to enjoy your H18. I had mine for 2 years before I found a set of used wings. They are out there. Keep an eye on eBay. They come up fairly often. The big question is do you wnat Magnum or SX wings? I like the Magnum wings better as they seem more sturdy and tend to be less expensive. You can add wings (either kind) at a later date. You should however look at the boat to see if it will need some reinforcing of the hull to deck joints to handle the wings. Look under the front crossbar on teh inside and outside of the hulls and see if there are plate screwed into the hull just under the deck lip. Check at the rear crossbar as well. You will also want to see these plates at the shroud attachement points.

Without these plates you will have some repair work to do in the future if you get wings.

Good luck!

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Wings
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:22 am 
Site Admin

The wings are great, but not critical to the fun. They are very comfortable.

You might also consider the Getaway which has seats.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie Nick

You talk about plates for reinforcement. Are these plates something that they make or do you have to design your own? Is this part of an installation kit? I think I may try to go look at this Hobie this weekend if I can. It sounds like it's not the end of the world if it does not have wings. I'll try to keep my eye out for a set on ebay and on this site as well.

The information on this web site is awsome. I think I can find out about almost anything I need to. Thanks a lot for all the support and everyones input!!

Can anyone tell me what a "Ausie halyard ring is"? Also a "Telo-Cat bridle vane"? I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but as I say, I am new to the whole "Hobie" thing.

Thanks again,

Russ

Post subject: H18 Wings
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out the H18, and if it is solid and good, buy it and then sail it, with or without wings. When you have figured out the basics of cat sailing, then ask yourself how 'hard' you want to sail, how 'dry' do you want to sail etc.

Once you upgrade to wings, Magnum or SX18, then you'll have to add the anchor plates (a minor structural upgrade) as noted above. Buy the kit from your local dealer. Lots of stuff on the Forum about this. Critical to do if you sail heavy or if you sail in chop or if you sail hard.

MAGNUMS are shorter and were welded. SX18 are rivetted are 11 feet long and are awesome, but not cheap. I found a pair in California, and the shipping alone to Ottawa (between Toronto and Montreal,) cost me $200. I was very lucky to find them, I had help, and these are very rare on the used market.

Pace an ad in the WANTED column of this forum, and CATSAILOR etc.

A Telo-cat is a windvane that sits where the bridle wires joins the forestay, and located there as you can get a stiff neck looking up to the top of a 28 foot mast to see the relative wind.

An Aussie halyard ring is a gizmo that helps some folks 'click' the head of the sail onto the 'hook' at the top of the mast.

Keep exploring the wonderful world of Hobie. There's lots of us out there who are happy to help.

Good winds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad to hear another one is making the move to buy a Hobie; and heed the above advice. May I also add, if you're looking for an 18 with wings you might try to have a little more patience as the sailing season will soon begin and the used boat market will fill with inventory. Keep an eye on this site, eBay, catsailor.com, and craigslist.org for listings. Seek and ye shall find, but my mama told me to shop around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Russ,

It appears that your question is already answered. As for looking around for other boats, When I lived in Northern IN I noticed alot of boats for sail right around Chicago. It seems that everyone starts selling in May out there.

Just so you feel better, my H18 is rock solid. The previous owner installed teh anchor plates. If you decide to install them it is something you can do yourself.

When you go to look at the boat, have the current owner set it up with you. This will allow you to see how it's done and to check for any major missing parts.

Also, I would reccommend a book to introduce you to the differences of cat sailing: "Catamaran Sailing" by Berman. It's great for the casual sailor.

Good luck in your search.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a H18 Magnum (also have a H16) and the wings are new to me. I do not believe the trap wires were set up properly by the previous owner. They were inside the wing -straight down to the hull. Should the trap system run on the outside of the wing???

Also, I do not believe the handle position on the trap wire, and length of trap wire is correct. Maybe the previous owner put a 16 trapeeze wire on by mistake. This H18M trap handle(s) and eyelet is way to low in my view. Is the H18M trapeeze kit the same as the standard 18??
Does anyone know the correct length of H18 Magnum trap wire. If the trap wire was left to dangle straight down from the mast tang, how far off the deck is the trap handle, and eyelet??
Big help if anyone can measure or has a manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also have an 18 Magnum and can't imagine not having the wings! Gives you a nice backrest while sitting on the hull and ofcourse seats to sit on when my 48 year old butt gets tired of sitting on the hard hull. In regards to trapeze wires, I do know that they are not supposed to be routed to the outside of the wings. When trapezing off of the wings, the bungee will stretch over the top of the wing as it pulls out of the side of hull lip. The grab handles on my boat are quite low also which makes it a bit difficult to get trapezed out especially in a chop. Wondering if there's a way to add an additional handle higher up?

Thomas
H18 Magnum (Windraider)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The H18Magnum trap wire length is very odd. Your length reads like my length and problems. I am going to move the handle and eyelet up 20inches to get a better grip. PLUS, the raise in position will ensure the trap hook is pulling up rather that from below.

I am Putting a spinnaker on the boat next week. Should be fast with great leverage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mark,

I'd be really interested on how your spinnaker installation goes. I hope you will keep us informed. I would like to move my trapeze line handle up also. Are you going to have your dealer do it or do you have the proper tools to do this?

Thomas
H18M "Windraider"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If there is a West Marine nearby, you can usually do it in the store. They have all of the components and the tools available for you.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The trap wires on my magnum are perfect when seated on the hull but when routed inside the wings hard to use. I have them routed outside now and find them easier to use. Especially in waves and chop. I also purchased some screw on trap handles to get a higher grip point on the trap wire. So far this seems to work best and gets the trap totally out of the way. I also recently installed a spin on my boat and so far love it.