Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Everyone,

I just got in my Sport and I just finished putting together the rudder assembly (it's an '05 and the instruction guide that came with it didn't have the second and third diagrams properly xeroxed..so, I was working blind, I got it together correctly and THEN found the video from Matt on this forum...oh well), and I was wondering how everyone here stores their kayaks? I'm debating on either holding out and getting the folding legs type stand that's in the Hobie catalog or getting some straps or just leaving it on my dining room table....well, maybe not the table option. I was just curious to see how most of y'all out there keep your kayaks in good shape between trips. Thanks for your help!

-Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dchisenh-This how I store my Adventure. The cover and stands are from KFS. The stands keep the kayak off the ground (easy to mow around) while the cover protects it from the harsh southcentral Texas sun.

Kyt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It’s simple, just stand it up.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm just a newbie, too. I read somewhere the two Hobie-suggested staorage methods are: standing on its nose, and upside down with weight on the cockpit ?walls?

I chose to hang my Adventure upside down, in two slings of 1" nylon web strapping across the cockpit walls, from the garge rafters over my car. to load on my car I lower the kayak, turn it over in the slings, and lower it some more onto the rooftop soft rack on my car.

Could be doing it all wrong, I suppose!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the good ideas!

I'm leaning either towards a sling set up inside my house (since I don't have a garage) or a cover/stand option. I really like the look of your setup from KFS Kytflyr. I was considering just stacking it next to the house ala Offroad's suggestion, but I just kept imagining my dog going over to sniff it and having it fall on him or a sudden afternoon thunderstorm blowing it all over the place while I'm at work. Thanks again y'all!

-Dan

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am attending a class / guide session in a few weeks and as part of the prep I was sent a DVD that shows and suggests it is also okay to stand the kayak on its long edge for storage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The original equipment manufacture always has the final say unless those that are suggesting conflicting information will except responsibility of warranty and liability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Current method:
(picture hosted by ImageShack)

Previously, stored horizontally on side for five years (on a foam block). No problems either way.8)

PS: DON'T store it sitting on its bottom; it can develop a flat spot. Try to keep it out of the sun and weather if feasible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:16 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

dchisenh wrote:
I was considering just stacking it next to the house ala Offroad's suggestion, but ... having it fall on him or a sudden afternoon thunderstorm blowing it all over the place
You could tie it off to secure it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner is correct. All the kayaks that are standing on end are tied off and secured to the building mid way of the yak. The racks to the right are holding the kayaks by two bars and also yaks lashed to the rack. The area is on the ocean at a shipyard and has a good climate for storage. The sun has done little to the newer plastics but the heat may be a different point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:23 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you sling it, you can bring it down to any height and rotate it to work on it -- very convenient.

Also you can store the sail out of the way without breaking it down 8)
Images hosted by Host my Pic

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I also suspend my Adventure from slings that run over a couple garage rafters. The kayak "lives" suspended upside down, slings running under the cockpit area, with all hatches open to allow air circulation.

I can drive my car underneath, rotate the kayak in the slings to lower it onto my soft car rack for transport, or onto a couple of sawhorses capped with the same soft rack pads to work on kayak rigging. I can also just (carefully) pop my head into each hatch to take a quick look for any "stuck" gear.

Very easy.