Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in Milwaukee and am considering the purchase of a HC 16. As there are very limited beaching options and raising a sail from a mooring is difficult, I'm cosidering the option of the 16 being hoisted from a trailer in to the water/dockside than raising the sails. Does anyone have experience with this process?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

I use to do that at a yacht club. It works. 4 lines... one for each coener casting. Forward ones pretty short. Aft ones real long. The center of the load is just aft of the mast. You would just have to work out the lengths.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
I use to do that at a yacht club. It works. 4 lines... one for each coener casting. Forward ones pretty short. Aft ones real long. The center of the load is just aft of the mast. You would just have to work out the lengths.

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why not rig in the lot and put in on the ramp. They've got to have a ramp in a marina don't they? Sounds like a lot of trouble to launch a H16. Once I'm to the parking lot, I'm in the water in about 30 minutes. That's rigging by myself. It is slightly shorter if I have another person. Is there a cost involved with the crane. That would be a show stopper for me. It would gripe the crap out of me to have to pay to sail my cat. I guess that I do use my park pass and that cost some bucks, but I use it all year around for other outings too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One other note, especially hoisting a 16. The mast rake will make it difficult to clear the mast from the crane arm. Two things help, use the jib sheets to pull the mast forward (shackle to 10 hole adjuster and tighten), and lift the boat slightly bow down. You may need to tie a line from the hoist hook to the mast to keep the boat from going bow down, especially on a windy day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

mdgann wrote:
Why not rig in the lot and put in on the ramp. They've got to have a ramp in a marina don't they? Sounds like a lot of trouble to launch a H16. Once I'm to the parking lot, I'm in the water in about 30 minutes. That's rigging by myself. It is slightly shorter if I have another person. Is there a cost involved with the crane. That would be a show stopper for me. It would gripe the crap out of me to have to pay to sail my cat. I guess that I do use my park pass and that cost some bucks, but I use it all year around for other outings too.
Many yacht clubs do not have a ramp or a beach. They're set up for dinghy launching with a hoist. It's the only way to get in the water at some locations. The "cost" is being a member of the club - or a guest of a member.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Other than having to rig sails on the dock... the hoist is a pretty nice way to go.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)