Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey all,

I am 6'3" with long legs and I have recently purchased a 2012 Outback. I have the pedals set to 7 and when I am peddling the right peddle bangs into the kayak near the front foot holds. I am a pretty avid biker so even a setting of 7 is cramped (I am not getting anywhere near full extension). I am sure I have the drive in correctly. I just wanted to know if this is expected behavior - do I need to shorten my stroke a bit or this there some other adjustment I can make.

Thanks in advance for any input.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They did for me as well so I ended up with a TI. It had the most room but at a "cost" ;-) . If your seat is in the rearmost position already you might gain some real estate by switching to some minimal footware. I recently bought a pair of Vibram Five Finger Shoes "KSO" model and while I normally run with my Drive on 7 I can chage it to 6 and have the same leg stroke. You might try peddling barefoot for a while to see if there is an opportunity there for you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

We are looking into this here. Seems that was a problem on some boats in the past. Thought we were beyond that. The hulls are hand shaped. Molds distort over time and we changed the pedals at some point... that narrowed the tolerance.

Worst case, you can remove the pedal strap and the small molded part that is outboard on the pedal. That should allow full length strokes.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the same 'problem' with my TI in the backseat: in setting 7 it is possible to hit the rear AKA crossbar if I do a full stroke. I just keep the drive in setting 6 :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:24 am 
Site Admin

I took a look on the line yesterday. The pedal strap fitting contacts the hull at the same point as the full stroke. You hit the end of the stroke at virtually the same point. There is no way to avoid a full stroke end point. The fins hit the hull bottom at the same moment as well. It's technique... you need to shorten your stroke.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
I took a look on the line yesterday. The pedal strap fitting contacts the hull at the same point as the full stroke. You hit the end of the stroke at virtually the same point. There is no way to avoid a full stroke end point. The fins hit the hull bottom at the same moment as well. It's technique... you need to shorten your stroke.

First of all thank you for looking into this for me. I appreciate your candid response.

When I test peddled a 2011 outback the peddles hit at a setting of 7. The dealer thought it was probably because the demo was a rental that had been abused all year and perhaps had some play in it. When I purchased my boat last Friday we tested to see if the peddles hit at a setting of 7. They did not, but the hull had a big dent from shipping. Thus, they swapped it out for the one I picked up the next day. We did not re-test this issue since it did not exist in first hull, however when I took the boat out the problem became evident. At the moment I am trying to decide whether to keep the boat or not. I really love it, but I just spent a lot of money for something that is somewhat broken for me. It would seem to make sense that if some of the hulls do work with a setting of 7 that informing dealers to try and cherry pick the hulls for taller customers would seem to be a good practice. Even better would be if you ran this check at the plant and somehow marked the "tall" models.

Once again thanks for your response.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Most certainly there is a chance for slight variations from boat to boat. Seeing that the one I saw was very slightly in contact and you have seen ones that do not, there could be a few things causing it. Different colors, cooling, hardware mounting or drives could all be responsible for this. If there is any fore / aft play in the drive, a pad can be added to the front of the spine to hold it up slightly. The Click and Go hardware has a small amount of play. Perhaps budging them aft a little might be possible. The drive pedal bolts might be a tad loose allowing the shafts to splay outward a small amount. That is just a few quick guesses.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and I each have a 2012 outback. I use setting 7 and my pedal hits, especially the right one. It does it with her drive in my yak also. I haven't tried her yak so don't know if it hits in hers. I just try to shorten my stroke so it doesn't hit, but that requires thinking about it instead of enjoying the quietness of early morning on the lake. This shouldn't be something a person has to deal with considering how much money I spent.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

townzen wrote:
My wife and I each have a 2012 outback. I use setting 7 and my pedal hits, especially the right one. This shouldn't be something a person has to deal with considering how much money I spent.
A demonstration would likely have shown you that your legs are too long for the Outback cockpit, and as you know, price doesn't always dictate size.

You probably saw the recent post on the topic, but here it is just in case. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48323
Perhaps there are some ideas you can try. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Actually 7 is the perfect setting for my leg length. The peddles still shouldn't hit the boat at the end of the stroke. If I ride a bike that is to small for me, the peddles don't hit the ground

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the link with the tips. Gives me ideas about trying different stroke lengths. I can check my speed with my gps & compare. I have noticed fast short strokes do get me moving faster but thought the longer strokes would maintain my top speed better. That may not be true. Going to the boundary waters for a week soon so will have a good chance to experiment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
I am a pretty avid biker so even a setting of 7 is cramped (I am not getting anywhere near full extension).

I'm a 6'1 cyclist with a 2006 Outback. I have the same issue with the right peddle. I do get frustrated that "first time out" each season, when I go to peddle klunk peddle klunk.

I have to remind myself that I'm not on my bike, and I'm not in that much of a hurry :) When I adjust my stroke a little, the klunk goes away, my peddle doesn't hit and I'm a happy camper.

I do find that peddling my kayak gives me a similar leg workout compared to my bike. I discovered this after riding the bike the day after a 4 mile kayak trip :) I couldn't figure out why I my legs were mush until I remembered what I'd done the day before.