Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: getaway top speed?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Been reading a few articles about making a "super " getaway; larger Jib and Bigger sail with boom. The objection that were put forth, was that about about 17 mph the hulls suck into the water and they pitch pole?
I have had my getaway screaming, but no gps to Verify speeds, but it was fun. I would like to hear from anyone with any kind of experience like; sucking down a pontoon, or pitch-poling with in high winds? I always felt very safe even in high winds conditions 20-25.
I started looking into a larger jig or main sail to increase the speeds in light airs, and in moderate, but if changing sails can cause abnormal behavior ?????

Post subject: Re: getaway top speed?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know what the top speed is, and I know I have not reached it. On my friend's Getaway, we did get 27Km/h on the GPS once, I believe that's around 17 MPH.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I doubt you could increase the max speed enough to make it worth the effort - is 20MPH any different than 17MPH? It takes a lot more power to go 20MPH than it takes to go 17MPH (with the same hulls; etc). A much larger jib for low wind days though makes sense if you can figure out how to "fit" it onto the Getaway.
I wonder how much a boom would help the Wave and Getaway (perhaps point intot he wind higher/better?), and how hard it would be for Hobie to come out with a boom kit. With the front tramp for small kids, a boom would be OK on the Getaway. Maybe the wings are an issue though...people are more likely to get hit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When we went 17, we 600 lbs on board. We could have gone faster by dumping the 220 lbs guy overboard and trapeze instead. Also, the waves hitting the tramp were slowing us down.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't know much about modifying a Getaway for increased speed but I did have it going pretty fast on a wide reach one day. No GPS but I did time the crossing and measured the distance online afterwards. Did about 4 miles in 15 minutes (so about 16 miles / hr). I was alone so only 170 lbs on board. It was a little scary as I was going with the waves and going into a trough at that speed I felt like I was burying the leeward bow a little to much for confort. Also noticed that the jib makes a big difference in speed on a wide reach. Roll it up and just use the main and you can feel the boat slow down. Unfurl it and you feel it suddenly pull. A spinaker would make a huge difference I think. Just can't use it in some situations.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

isn't the getaway a displacement hull with a theoretical hull speed? ultimately lower than that of a 16 or 18 due to the wider hull? i would guess that maybe 17 is about the point where submarining would begin because of max hull speed? yes, no??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

smegster wrote:
I started looking into a larger jig or main sail to increase the speeds in light airs, and in moderate, but if changing sails can cause abnormal behavior ?????

There's nothing abnormal about it, you put on bigger sails, the boat is going to be more prone to capsizing. Hulls sucking down into the water...I don't really know what that means, but the boat would be more prone to capsizing and pitchpoling.

Honestly, it's a Getaway...it will always be a Getaway, so no matter what you do, you're not going to turn it into an F18. Any modification to the sailplan is only likely to make a marginal change in performance. Maybe put a spinnaker on it, but a larger main and jib is probably a waste of money.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

GET A SPINNAKER - GET THE HOBIE SPINNAKER - HAVE THE DEALER INSTALL IT

It fits perfecly. It works perfectly. It makes 5-10 days a rush. 10-15 is a thrill ride, and 15-20+ is on the edge. At 10 + you need an experienced crew on the trap. Get the crew weight all the way back. Keep the nose up and the tail down and you will not pitchpole. The snuffer works great. There have been other comments that it only snuffs well on one side. I have never had a problem getting it in on either side. Spinnakers do get hung up. The Getaway has a tremendous advantage in that the crew can go forward on the front tramp and free it up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had I not seen it on my own GPS, I wouldn't believe it, but my wife and I had a rental Getaway top out between 20-22 miles per hour in Belize two years ago. And mind you, being a rental boat, it is not in the best of shape. No wing seats and no trapeze lines. I can't remember the actual speed indicated as "Maximum Speed" reached that particular day, but we do recall it was an incredibly exhilarating ride! We were approached and complimented by some local boaters, which was flattering, to say the least.

Obviously, I will swear that my own 16 is a much faster boat than a Getaway, but I'm confident my GPS wasn't lying. Conditions on the Belizean Barrier Reef are considerably different than here at home on small lakes in Minnesota, so I'm sure perspective plays some part in one's sensory perceptions. That said, I think precisely because the rental Getaway is so loosie-goosie, we're much more confident heading out on a 20-25 knot day (not uncommon in Belize) than we ever would be in that kind of wind here at home on my 16!

We didn't spend as much time sailing in Belize last year, since getting married on the beach was our primary mission, but we're returning again in April this year, so we'll have to make a point of recording some of our speeds again.

As for adding "power" to a Getaway, we think of the Getaway being the sailing equivalent to a pontoon boat in the power boating world. It's not intended for high performance; but for relaxing. And we like the Getaway just fine for what it is. I'm getting old enough now, that we're actually considering trading "down" to one from the 16 I've had for close to 20 years.

'83/'84 H16 "Cosmic Cat" Blue Hawaii #82278