Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: first day
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I took my Adventure out for the first time today. Yay! Everything is as good as people have been saying. Everything works beautifully. I have the new fins on the drive. It was easy to cruise at 5.0 mph downwind and 4.0 mph upwind. It was breezy and gusty and there was a lot of spray and waves breaking over the bow. The boat only took on a few tablespoons of water internally. I went flat out in a protected bay and got 7.1 mph as the maximum speed, according to my GPS. Hull speed should be 1.34 times the square root of 16 which equals 5.4 knots or 6.2 mph. That means the fins are strong enough to make the boat plane a little. It was easy to pedal back and forth across the lake a few times...I must have covered five or six miles and then also spent a lot of time fooling around by the shore testing the primary and secondary stability. It's very stable. I didn't try to sail it today. I'm waiting for warmer water to practice capsizing before I sail it.

I'm just happy. It's a great watercraft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thanks for the excellent report! Did you get the large rudder also?8)

Post subject: new rudder
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, I have the larger rudder, as well as the dagger board. I'm ready to take it sailing as soon as the water warms up.

I think there's probably some outriggers in my future, also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Congratulations Klay and welcome to the wonderful world of the Hobie Adventure. If you havent done it already I strongly recommend you fit a Harkin block to the rear carry handle for the sail line to run through...it makes it very responsive and you will greatly reduce the chances of getting capsized under sail. I have yet to go in the drink after 6 months of sailing the baby so get out there and enjoy it!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks! I have the harken block for the main sheet installed. I'm trying to wait until the water warms more, but it's hard to wait.

I'm impressed by the intial and secondary stability of the kayak. It seems it could resist quite a bit of pressure from the sail. I'll keep the mainsheet in one hand and the rudder in the other.

I would like to repeat that everything good I've heard about this kayak is turning out to be very accurate. No worries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Alot of the fun is still to come for you...jobs like fitting out a milk crate for storage, adding lighting and generally tinkering with minor add ons and improvements (now there is a good topic for a thread)!!

Cheers