Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:10 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Hobie is so busy right now I am not sure anyone there has time to transfer at this time. This is a good thing it means our sport is growing by leaps and bounds! Matt will get to it in due time he always some through on his word!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Finally... updated the paper drill guide with the H20 drill locations.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/tech/rudder.html

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is this the only way to drill these? I just got the EPO2 rudders, but I am really nervous about drilling them out wrong...Clarification, this drill template is to start the drill holes only. The final drill all the way through will be made on the boat? Also, is there a way to confirm the template prints in the right "scale"...Please help..and thanks..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ideally, you should drill the holes using a drill press so you know for sure they're true. Put a block of wood under the rudder so you don't splinter on the underside and check to make sure you're using the correct drill speed.

I wouldn't try to drill them on the boat, too many opportunities for things to move around and it still won't guarantee you get the hole straight. If you don't have a drill press, clamp the rudder in a vice and carefully use your hand drill.

Confirm the template is to scale by printing it out and then verifying that the dimensions called out on the template are what they're supposed to be- i.e. measure the 6-3/8" dimension to see if it is actually 6-3/8". If it isn't, adjust the scaling of your print accordingly and re-check. You can also use your old rudder to check against the template if there's any concern there.

Last, remember that if you really screw up, you can always fill the holes with epoxy and re-drill...no big deal. You've also got the rake adjustment that will allow you to make minor corrections.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey thanks,

I just hate to toe or bow these babys...defeating the purpose of the new foil. I will use a press, thanks. Mel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some Hobie dealers will drill them for you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I did this, I used the old rudder as the guide for the pivot hole, then the upper hole I used the locked down casting as the guide. I have done several hundred plastic rudders this way back in the days of working at a busy dealer, but this low tech method still works fine.

By the way, the rudders are a few seasons old now and show no signs of wear or failure other that one rudder tip I smashed in the parking lot. Even this ding show no sign of problems. These blades are really the way to go if you need/want new blades. As the wind builds, these blades just get better and better.

But is Jeremy will drill them for you, that is probably the way to go.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Big Jib & the Uni's wrote:
See any cracked castings?

Sure fire way to eventually crack a rudder head and/or casting is to load them up without being all the way in the down position and locked.

Check those M20 stocks for voids (air bubbles) in the gelcoat at the seams. Anybody seen that? Fix that before the stock starts delaminating and they'll last a long time.

What's the best way to fix a cracked rudder head? We attempted repair but the repair failed. Buy new blades?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a set of yellow and black EPO2 rudders for a H16. Will they work with a H20 or should I get a set of EPO rudders specifically for a H20. The HCat catalog lists EPO rudders for a H20. Are they still available?

When I compare the stock H20 blades against the EPO H16 blades they are different. I measure that the EPO blades are about 1/16" thinner than the stock blade.

If I try and use the H16 blades it looks like I will have to put shims in the rudder castings? Thanks,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Abraham Jones wrote:
I have a set of yellow and black EPO2 rudders for a H16. Will they work with a H20

Yes

Abraham Jones wrote:
or should I get a set of EPO rudders specifically for a H20. The HCat catalog lists EPO rudders for a H20. Are they still available?

No such thing. There never has been EPO rudders specifically for the 20.

Abraham Jones wrote:
If I try and use the H16 blades it looks like I will have to put shims in the rudder castings? Thanks,

Yes, you will need shims (probably needed them anyway).

The reason for going to the EPO2 rudder on the 20 is very practical - the factory did not want to continue making special rudders just for the 20 - a very low volume (read $$$$) item.

From all accounts, the EPO2 rudders work just fine on the 20.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Phil Collins has won at least two H20 National Championships with EPOs, but then he's Phil, he'd probably have won anyway. I bought a pair of slightly used EPO2s on ebay that I'm sticking on my '20. I may be beyond being helped by a pair of EPO rudders but they look really cool! Nevertheless, I've heard from several H20 sailors that the EPOs are stiffer and will help you point a wee bit higher. Just by eyeballing them I can tell their design is a bit sleeker.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am trying to use an old stock rudder as a template for drilling holes in my new EPO rudders. I need a jig to hold the two rudders in alignment but the profile of the H20 rudder is very different from that of the EPO rudder. Because the profiles are so different I don't see how a jig can hold the two in alignment. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt Bounds wrote a comprehensive article on this topic in the Winter 2010 issue of the Hobie Hotline. Here's a link to that issue on his website: http://w1dm.com/projects/HOTLINE/11-01- ... 0Cover.pdf. If you still have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Hotline with the article about drilling rudders. The article suggest building a jig to use an old rudder as a template for drilling a new EPO rudder. The profile of the H20 rudder is very different from that of the EPO rudder. Given these differences I don't see how to build the jig.

An unrelated question is about the tiller bar. How do I tighten the swivel fitting at the end of the bar? The part that rotates and connects to the cross bar has what seems like a lot of play in it.

Clicking on the pictures should bring up larger pictures

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Initially, I planned to use my standard H20 rudders as a template for drilling my new EPOs, but the rudders are so different I soon gave up on that plan. I used the paper template, like the one in one of your photos. I found that it's best to move the lower hole just a half of a hole's width forward of where the template would have you drill it. This will allow for a little more rudder rake. Once the bottom hole is located and drilled (recommend Matt's method of drilling 1/4 inch at first) hold the rudder where you want it as far as rake is concerned in the locked down position, then mark the spot for the upper hole using the upper casting. An extra set of hands will be a huge help. Almost impossible to do this solo. Good Luck!

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28