Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I need a storage box for my Getaway, my truck is a disaster...full of Hobie stuff!!!! Looks like I'll have to add some stainless locking gear if I decide to buy one. Also, does it float or fill up with water when launching your boat?? Lastly, how did you attach it to your trailer?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

One more thing, did you add a divider or organizer??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The toybox is great. If you have a van or large truck you could get away with not having one, but for us and our smallish SUV the toybox is a near necessity.
It's attached with a couple of large U-bolts that mount the box to the trailer frame. You'll have to drill holes into the bottom of the toybox for the U-bolts.
It does fill with water when launching. And just a heads up, do not leave the lid on when you launch! Otherwise the water will rip your lid off as you pull up the ramp. Ask me how I know this. :wink:
As far as a divider, I'm assuming you mean a lengthwise divider? There's no way you could compartmentalize width-wise/cross-wise as you need the full length to fit your sail in there. I've never felt the need for a divider in the 5 years I've used mine.
I was not going to get the toybox when we got our cat cuz it was so damned expensive. My wife talked me into it and I'm very glad she did.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the feedback!! Yes, my truck certainly does get littered with boat gear!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hate the Hobie box! It always leaks at the front lid and its hard to load because it has one large access point. A galvanized or aluminum coffin is far better for carrying your gear. There are some nice fiberglass boxes being built on the gulf coast by sailboxes.com or get a quote from your local metal fabricator. You can't beat a diamond plate aluminum box.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is my sail storage "Mail Box", aluminum walk plate construction.

Rear view.

Mailbox droplid

compartmentalized setup, lower level is my redwood tray for rudder assembly, top shelf-two sets of sails. And of course, two clam shells for my spare tires. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

$$$$

And how many shekels did that cost to build?? Very nice but pricey to say the least. I'd would rather put that kind of money into sailing gear IMHO.

Great pics!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The plastic/fiberglass boxes basically last forever and are maintenance free, but they're not cheap. The fiberglass coffins are probably the best IMO. They're light, sturdy, have full access to the box, and can hold plenty of gear. The Hobie boxes I've seen tend to be kind of small, and tend to leak because they're made in multiple pieces to allow for shippment. They also only have acces from the ends which can be a pain if something gets stuck in the middle of the box.

You can also build a wooden box for around $100. It will last several years. I have one that's probably about 5 years old and still doing OK. You can customize it to meet your own specific needs.

There are a lot of ways to do it though.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I walk on my hobie toy box, and im 230 lbs. They are tough and soft, like Chuck Norris.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There isn't a cat box out there that isn't going to leak if you back it into the water. The holes you put in it to attach it to the trailer will leak no matter what.

A good way to keep the inside of your cat box dry is not to back it into the water :D

I used to back way the heck down the ramp so that the boat could almost float down, and all my gear always got wet. Now I've learned to back down until the bottom of the back of my gear boxes are just about to hit the water. I then push the boat on or off of the trailer. Gear stays dry.

Hot sticks and tiller extensions make a great way of reaching up to get stuck gear.

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I built the aluminum "walk plate" sail box myself about 13 years ago for my buddy Phil.I maintained his boat and trailer and used it more than he did.We basically shared a 16' until he had no time to use it,so it came back to me. :D

I am a sheet metal worker who can build about anything out of metal.Today,I installed copper gutters and downspouts on a 1865 historic family farm house.
Both sailing and metal work are my passions.It is fun to combine those interests. :P

Good Day,Bill 40421SE 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just use one of these, there are 2 on the picture. They come in 20 feet length, I sold half to a friend for his Getaway.

I just strap them to the trailer. During sailing season, I strap it to trees close to where I beach my boat. That way it's off the ground.