Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Went out to the Texas City Dike this past Saturday; pretty good turnout with about a dozen cats. Winds were unfortunately pretty light (5-10) so I took the 18 out for a few solo runs. I'm sure this is probably old hat for most of you but I was pretty excited (and nervous) to be out there single handing for the first time. Turned out to be a total blast and a great learning experience.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmduX_5OGHY&hd=1[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice!! That must be a real thrill flying off the wings. And that's a clean-looking 18 you have there. Did you paint the wing frames and crossbars? Very nice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks! The previous owner had the boat sitting up for 2 years before I bought it and in that time he went through and painted a few parts including the wing frames and crossbars.

Also, nice sails Brian - I've got the same pattern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great video! Trapping off the wings looks like so much fun!

Hey, What camera were you using? I'm trying to decine between a Hero or Fujifilm XP10.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

outoftheoffice wrote:
I'm sure this is probably old hat for most of you. . .
Nope, it's still not old for me. Good going.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Daredevil wrote:
Hey, What camera were you using? I'm trying to decine between a Hero or Fujifilm XP10.

I'm using the Kodak Playsport (plus a detachable fisheye lens) with a few different RAM mounts. Also modified a GOPRO head mount to work with it as well. The Playsport has been really great so far..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

when you have the hot stick all the way extended like that how do you handle it during the tack?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How did you mount the camera, is it a go pro you are using. I have a mount at the front of each of my hulls but would love to have one on the middle.

Marty
Hobie 18sx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

aaron-hobie wrote:
when you have the hot stick all the way extended like that how do you handle it during the tack?

Since I had quite a bit to handle when it came time to tack I would come down to the tramp then just throw the stick back and let it drag in the water. Once I was tacked around and ready to get back out I would pull it back up. Made it one less thing to worry about and I didn't have to shorten it before or re-extend it after the tack.

MartyH wrote:
How did you mount the camera, is it a go pro you are using. I have a mount at the front of each of my hulls but would love to have one on the middle.

I'll try to get a photo of the mount later but I'm using a Kodak Playsport, which only has a 1/4"-20 thread to work with. I am using RAM mounts for all the mounting. Some of my videos I shot with a RAM suction cup mount on the front of the hull but for this I removed the metal mount for my Windex from the front of the furler then attached a U-bolt to the piece of rubber/plastic the windex mount was screwed into. From there I used a RAM arm to hang the camera down between the bridles (upside down) and then flipped the video on the computer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

IF YOU COULD GET ME A PICTURE OF IT, THAT WOULD BE GREAT, i WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO HANG IT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FURLER, i HAVE MADE ONE GREAT 3 1/2 MIN VIDEO FROM THE HULL.

MARTY