Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Trav, can you not see the pictures on the first page of this thread? That is the cart (wheels removed) strapped into the boat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No the pictures don't show up for me, just the file names. What I am looking for though is how you are attaching the cart to the trailer for transport. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Travis,

I don't know why you can't see the pictures, they're on there:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=35157
but that only shows how I've carried it directly on the top of my boat.

As for some sort of a rack/mounting for a trailer, I'm currently working on just the thing for the front of my SUT 350-S. It's going to have a lock as well. As soon as it's finished, I'll post some pictures. I'd be interested to see what other people have come up with.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
We typically show our hand on new models etc at the Outdoor Retailer Show. That is next week.

Well did Hobie "show it's hand" in regards to the new cart for the TI?

does anybody know? pictures/videos?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sun E sailor wrote:

As for some sort of a rack/mounting for a trailer, I'm currently working on just the thing for the front of my SUT 350-S. It's going to have a lock as well. As soon as it's finished, I'll post some pictures. I'd be interested to see what other people have come up with.

Thanks sEs. Looking forward to see what you've come up with. BTW, I'm loving the TI. Thanks for taking the time to show me all that you've done with yours before I made the plunge.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well still no word on Hobie's new cart, but if you watch this video interview about the new 11' yaks you can see the new cart in the background underneath the TI :D

c'mon Matt spill the beans lets see some details, I want one!

http://youtu.be/msexXGzTWXc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No jibs on display,.. makes me :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's what I recently built that now enables me to easily carry my Appel Cart on the front of my trailer.

I used a piece of pressure treated wood deck material for the base, and 2 pieces 3/16th's aluminum flat stock lined with marine carpet on the inside for a sung fit. The ½" hole seen in this picture lines up with a hole on the cart's frame so that I can then insert a trailer hitch lock to secure it. It's a great improvement to the entire system. I think I'll call it the "Appel Cart Basket". :wink:

The boat then sides easily forward, over the top of the cart, with room to spare.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

sun E sailor wrote:
It's a great improvement to the entire system.

Agreed! This ingenious setup is the Holy Grail!

You are leveraging our Hobie TI saddle for dual uses. For the cart and for the trailer. By using the existing TI saddle, you have lowered the cost of the cart. And even more importantly for me, we no longer have to worry about how we will transport and where we will store the cart... it just fits onto trailer as the forward cradle.

We use your Appel Cart every week to easily and quickly launch our fully loaded TIs on the sandy beaches. We all love it.

Keep these inventions coming, Sun E Sailor! You are a gem to our Hobie TI community.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Mark. It's what it's all about. :wink:

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mkrawats wrote:
sun E sailor wrote:
.. we no longer have to worry about how we will transport and where we will store the cart... it just fits onto trailer as the forward cradle.

I can't see that from these pics but that is a great idea. 8)
The forward cradle is also the cart. Slide the TI back a bit, remove the forward cradle/cart and relocate it under the hull for transport. Brilliant! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Stringy nice to hear from you,

Before I forget to mention it, Thanks again for all your help when I thought I was the only one who had broken his Screw Socket. I hope you've had the chance to read up on how I finally repaired it, including my 2 cents on the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=36284&start=15

As far as the forward cradle doubling for the cart idea, it certainly would be possible to make this happen in the front, or off the back of the trailer as well. I was considering this around the same time I was building the first Appel Cart. For obvious reasons, it would make sense to incorporate the two designs into a multi functioning unit. For right now however, I'm just using the forward box frame/channel device as a holder for the cart.

Glad you like it. :)

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad you got it fixed OK sEs! :)
Your documentation of the fix will be very helpful when others have this problem.
BTW - The upgraded socket screws have finally made it downunder. Apparently Hobie US sent the wrong screws. Big thanks to Gordon at Hobie Aus for contacting me directly and promptly sorting the problem out and to Sailing Scene for keeping up with the issue. They have just posted it to me so I'll get it this coming week. The rudder may arrive this week as well. Woo hoo! :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well done sEs. That trailer just gets better and better.

Stringy - So looks like you may be the 2nd person in Oz with the new rudder. viewtopic.php?f=71&t=35376&start=120
( 6 up from bottom )
:lol:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy,
Yeah, the same thing happened to me too. Hobie sent the wrong screws the first time as well, but every thing's fine now. I've been out sailing several times since in pretty strong winds (15+ after which I reef in a bit), and so far it appears to be holding. Good luck with the new rudder.

Slaughter,
Thanks, glad you like it. We've had a wet stormy summer, so when I can't go sailing, my mind has time to wander as to what improvements I can make.

ps. What a beautiful photograph! viewtopic.php?f=71&t=35376&start=120(Mickey on Murrays). That water looks so amazingly clear and inviting, I'm jealous! This picture should be in the photo contest for sure, it's a real winner.

Just wondering... what's that out in the ocean?... a couple of Great Whites in the background? :o :shock: :?

2014 Tandem Island

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next