Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shorting 14 mast
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know this sounds crazy but has anyone ever heard of cutting the mast down 5 or 6 feet and then cutting the sail off the same amount?
For someone in their late 60's or 70's it would be a lot easier to put up and take down. I'm sure it will have effect on proformance but someone that age who loves sailing a Hobie may not be interested in fast sailing.
Need some replys on this.

Post subject: Re: shorting 14 mast
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Latrobe, PA, USA *** Show YOUR Location - Edit Profile ! ***
Older H16s had mainsails that could be reefed. This means that the sail could be used when raised only partially up the mast, with the unused portion fixed somehow to the boom. There are reefing grommets installed in the sail at this point and a line could be used through them for this. I have no idea how these sails performed but they were probably adequate for 'recreational' use.

Another possible complication is that the Hobie halyard system relies on a fixed point 'catch' at the top of the mast- so the reefed sail needed to have another stop on the wire halyard to work... and the simple solution is just cleating off the main halyard at the bottom of the mast (likely causing tension on the mast from top to bottom, problems with rotation, etc. These are oft' discussed with dire predictions) but I don't think someone running the rig under low wind, non-competitive conditions would have a problem.

So, I say don't cut off the mast unless handling the mast is the problem. If that is the problem there are mast raising systems which can make it much easier. These rely on mechanical advantage of a winch to raise the mast- but it still would have to be 'manhandled' from the trailering position to the mast step.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wildlatin wrote:
Older H16s had mainsails that could be reefed. This means that the sail could be used when raised only partially up the mast, with the unused portion fixed somehow to the boom. There are reefing grommets installed in the sail at this point and a line could be used through them for this. I have no idea how these sails performed but they were probably adequate for 'recreational' use.

Another possible complication is that the Hobie halyard system relies on a fixed point 'catch' at the top of the mast- so the reefed sail needed to have another stop on the wire halyard to work... and the simple solution is just cleating off the main halyard at the bottom of the mast (likely causing tension on the mast from top to bottom, problems with rotation, etc. These are oft' discussed with dire predictions) but I don't think someone running the rig under low wind, non-competitive conditions would have a problem.

So, I say don't cut off the mast unless handling the mast is the problem. If that is the problem there are mast raising systems which can make it much easier. These rely on mechanical advantage of a winch to raise the mast- but it still would have to be 'manhandled' from the trailering position to the mast step.

Thanks Wildlatin. My location is Blakely, Ga. very s.w. conner of Ga.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The mast on the 14 is very light.

Cutting almost 20% of it off is not going to make it that much lighter.

If you have physical problems raising the 14's mast, then you have larger problems - like righting the boat and climbing back on after a capsize.

It may be time to move to a boat that's less physically demanding.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Latrobe, PA, USA *** Show YOUR Location - Edit Profile ! ***
goatwings wrote:
Thanks Wildlatin. My location is Blakely, Ga. very s.w. conner of Ga.

Nice... I see there are a few small lakes just North of there, not to mention the pretty huge (to me) Walter F. George Reservoir. I had no idea that that area had so many sailing possibilities. Kinda makes me jealous as my area of W. PA is kinda sparse. BTW, you can set your location in this forum by going to your 'User Control Panel' (at top right of any page), then opening 'Profile'... it's way at the bottom after a bunch of archaic junk. I think the first user registration process should ask for people's location- since it makes quite a difference in their sailing experiences... (IMHO).

Mbounds wrote:
The mast on the 14 is very light.
Cutting almost 20% of it off is not going to make it that much lighter.
If you have physical problems raising the 14's mast, then you have larger problems - like righting the boat and climbing back on after a capsize.
It may be time to move to a boat that's less physically demanding.

Mbounds definitely has some points.
I think people can enjoy their cats pretty much even if they can sail only very conservatively- no flying hulls- and just make sure they are able to swim and importantly make sure to wear a good PDF. Things happen when you are older and it's part of keeping an active life... All these challenges can be overcome by sailing with friends who can keep an eye out for the older sailors.
I plan to keep sailing for the next 10-20 years and I'll definitely be one...

One other option is to upgrade to a larger H16 on which an older 'captain' can more feasibly have a 'hearty crew' to help with boat setup and any eventualities...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Goatwings, if you cut your mast(not recommending you do) but if you do, I would like to get the remaining piece, Im in SC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thewaver wrote:
Goatwings, if you cut your mast(not recommending you do) but if you do, I would like to get the remaining piece, Im in SC

Thewaver, I decided not to cut the mast because it would really ruin a nice boat. But I also have a PUFFIN 12ft built up in Maine plus a homebuilt PDR so I will just stick with them and sell this Hobie. If someone wants a bargin this is it. This boat is in very very good condition with a new rebuilt trailer from the ground up. $700 is the price firm and if the boat is not what I described I will pay your gas back for coming. The Hobie is just too much for me. I'm going on 70 years old. Thanks Henry 1-229-723-5866