Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Still undetermined, but after 2 hours(18 Km), the boat was still floating and we did not notice that it handled differently.

My friend forgot to put the plugs on his Getaway, we only noticed when we got back to shore when we started to haul the boat out of the water, for some odd reason, it was a lot heavier to pull. So we used the trailer winch we have attached to a tree to haul the boat over the bank alone. Once the stern came out of the water, we saw the water gushing out. We laughed. I left after a few minutes, and it was still draining.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dunno, but I don't care to try....the water is starting to get chilly... You would think that the plugs would be wired with an alarm, eh!!! lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Water was still warm Saturday on Washademoak, it's inland, probably takes a little longer to cool off than the Northumberland Straight. The wetsuit helped too. My boat is still up there, going back on Thanskgiving weekend to pick it up, hope I can go out one last time.

Anyway, must be a lot of buoyancy in the Getaway hulls to sail for 2 hours and still not notice they were not in. I was at the helm for a while, I seem to recall that the rudder castings were rarely in the water, which might explain why they did not completely fill with water. Also, with the drain plus in the coolers in place, there was no place for the air to quickly escape while it filled.

One way that would help people from forgetting them would be to have some sort of mechanism that make it impossible to lower the rudders without the plugs. But I also think that after this weekend, we might be more careful. I usually remember to check on my boat, but this was not my boat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

lol....that's right...blame the skipper!!! ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was almost three miles offshore when this happened. Creeping to shore the compromised hull never sank! Even with a blown out transom and the following seas throwing in waves, those hulls have a ton of reserve buoyancy!

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... G_3413.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's incredible, congratulations on making it back in safely with that damage.
What year is you boat? Its alarming to see that the hull let go that way, did you have any cracks showing prior to this happening? It would appear to be a manufacturing fault, it would require a lot of force against the rudder to rip it out that way and with the kick up rudders and no reverse, it would seem almost impossible to do and even then, I would guess that the rudders would snap off first. I didn't think that the hull material had any buoyancy. Do the inside of the hulls have a foam liner, or was it the trapped air in the top of the hull that kept it afloat? Thanks for sharing the photo's, I found it interesting to see the inside of the hulls and the tubes where the cross beams enter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did not notice any cracks on my walkarounds. The boat is a 2003 I believe, I have not seen her in a year. The port hull is original and I ordered a 2010 hull for the starboard side after the failure.

Inside the hulls there is no foam. All of the buoyancy came from the freeboard of the hulls. The rudders did snap off first and it was trailing behind us until I could pull it in, thankfully it was not lost.