Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How dry is a revo 11
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and I currently have two Outbacks and would like to replace them with two Revolution 11s. We carry both on the roof of our Tahoe and the lighter weight is the primary reason. Rough life, older back you know. Our concern is the relative dryness from wave splash of the two boats. Sometimes it's too cold to get soaked. Any comparisons would be appreciated. Mostly lake use with windborn chop and large boat wakes. Thanks

Post subject: Re: How dry is a revo 11
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, my Revo 11 showed up last week and during its maiden voyage on a large glacial fed river I learned that the Revo 11 is nowhere near as sturdy and safe as my Outback (nor is it advertised to be). I think I will eventually get used to the tippyness but there is no way to prevent the front end of the kayak becoming completely submerged in Class I/II rapids with your arms getting soaked unless you raise your hands up off the rails at least 8 inches. The Revo 11 rides very low in the water and any wave over a foot and a half will get you wet in a river.

I've used my Outback usually up into December up here in Alaska and I've always stayed dry. I'm sure Hobie doesn't recommend taking these kayaks through Class I/II rapids and the kayaks are not specifically designed for it but I've always felt very safe and dry in the Outback. The Revo 11 is going to require a lot more concentration and some shoulder length Atlas gloves once the temperature dips later this Fall.

On the other hand this thing is a breeze to pedal and holds position over the fish far better than the Outback. After years of using the Outback this thing is almost effortless while peddling against a strong current.

Doesnt sound like you'll be dealing with the same type of water so I'm guessing you may have less of an issue getting wet. This thing is LIGHT though and much easier to handle out of the water.

Couldn't get a photo of the front end of the Revo swamped but maybe when I get used to thing I'll snap a photo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a lot for the input. Lived in Alaska for 30+ years so I'm very familiar with your weather and water temps, especially glacier fed streams. We probably won't be out in weather below 65 deg. Mostly lakes and maybe float type rivers. We are both lighter 145# and below 120# not even going to mention wifes exact weight. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2011 Revo 11 and it's not dry in rough waters. Even with the drive seal in place, water does surge up through the drive well and into the cockpit/seat area. I usually leave the drain hole open so the water does not accumulate, and I wear waterproof pants if it's cold, because I know my butt WILL get wet if it's rough. In calm waters it stays dry, no problem.

Regardless of potential butt wetness though, I LOVE this little boat!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If Hobie's Dodger will fit the Revo 11, that should eliminate a lot of the water coming in over the bow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:45 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Perhaps it's best to try the boat first and then decide if it's wet for you in the conditions you go out in. I weigh 180 lb and carry 10 lb of weight in the bow -- total weight of about 200 lb. with gear. I don't get any wetter in this boat than with our Adventure or Oasis.

Even with this 3 foot wall of water the boat just popped right over it (didn't look nearly as flat in person!):

A little water enters the seat area from one of the scupper plugs for a wet butt and that's about it except when I'm riding boat wakes.

the Revo 11's short waterline undoubtedly makes the boat more sensitive to center of gravity and it's relative small volume makes it more reactive to weight loads, but for me, water in the cockpit is not an issue at all. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:24 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

On the other hand, any of the kayaks are prone to taking a little water over the bow in the right circumstances. Here are some examples:

Adventure; Classic:

Image Image

Oasis; Revo 13:

Image Image

And yes, the Revo 11:

It's true the Outback and Sport, with relatively large volumes in their bows, take less solid water over the stem, but they sure make up for it with spray, slow speed and uncomfortable pounding (IMO):

Image Image
8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We sold the Outbacks and bought two Revo 11s and we couldn't be happier! Thanks for all the input and advice. In the end the weight for loading and unloading was the deciding factor. Now We both like them better in all respects. Wife initially thought it was less stable but after a couple of hours she was fine with it. We repeated a trip we had taken previously with the Outbacks and overall made it quicker and easier. I installed a couple of Outback handles on each side of the rear storage area to use to turn the boat over and lift up onto the roof rack and that also made a huge difference. I no longer dread loading and unloading. Great little boats, and with the high resale value it didn't cost too much to sell and buy new ones.