Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Broke the left seat buckle last week while fishing Lake Alpine. My dealer - Sunrise Mountain Sports - filed a warranty claim and is waiting for a response from Hobie. Hopefully I'll get them soon. Otherwise I'll have to rig something up. I have some ideas involing zip ties...

I thought about ordering a pair of buckles a few months ago when Matt first mentioned that they were available. Of course I didn't, and now I'm paying for it.

It's a PITA when the @#$%^&* buckle breaks in the middle of a fishing outing. You lose back support on one side, etc. I was lucky in that I was on a relatively calm fresh water lake. Could easily be a safety issue under rougher conditions.

Bottom line: y'all might want to think about ordering replacement stainless steel buckles before the stock buckles break and ruin your day. At a minimum, I'd recommend carrying some zip ties in your boat. I'm going to put a bunch in my seat back bag.

Tight lines!

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had the same idea about getting some (prior to mine breaking) and tried, through my dealer, but was told Hobie will only replace broken ones under warranty. Of course, I can always pay for them myself if I want them prior to my plastic ones breaking.

Several people advised me to break mine and then I could get some............but I don't operate that way...........besides Hobie has been too good to me on other warranty issues, I would never take advantage of them.

Question, are bread zip ties strong enough to hold the seat back up.............that is going to be some big zip ties..................enlighten me!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah. I hear you. I was just going to buy the replacement buckles for the same reasons you state - I wouldn't want to fake a warranty replacement.

Haven't tried my repair idea yet so I don't know that it will work, but my idea is to slip a heavy duty zip tie throught the small nylon loop in the upper strap - where the buckle used to be sucured - and make a tight loop. I have a 3 foot nylon web strap with tension buckle that I would run between the zip tie loop and around the front tubular bar under the seat. The strap will provide adjustablility to match the length/support to the other side.

The upper strap loop is small - about 3/16 diameter, so you're limited in how wide/big of a zip tie will fit. Some zip ties are amazingly strong. I figure it's worth a try as a last resort. Hopefully it won't come to that and I will get my replacement buckles soon.

Alternatively, I picked up a universal metal replacement buckle ($0.89), but it doesn't have the diagonal cut needed to slip the buckle on to the webbing loop with out cutting the stitching on the webbing material. If i don't receive the replacement buckles in time, I may look into a way to make that cut.

I'm open to other ideas for a temporary repair and welcome suggestions.

The PA is curently at my vacation home, so I'll have to wait until the next time I go up to make the repair. Planning to go either next weekend or the following weekend.

Bob

Last edited by TroutNoDoubt on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mythman. I re-read your post. I would not use bead zip ties. I don't think they're strong enough. there is a wide range of ties available at home depot and similar stores. Some are pretty beefy. They just need to be able to fit throught the small webing loop.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TroutNoDoubt wrote:
Mythman. I re-read your post. I would not use bead zip ties. I don't think they're strong enough. there is a wide range of ties available at home depot and similar stores. Some are pretty beefy. They just need to be able to fit throught the small webing loop.

Bob

My bad..............don't know what I was thinking...................I know bread zip ties aren't strong enough.............I have an assortment of zip ties and some pretty big but still don't know if they are strong enough to hold my big arse!!! :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Broke one buckle myself while trolling in the surf.

I simply reached over and tied a simple overhand knot in the two peices of webbing slack, had to mess a tiny bit with the length so that both sides had an even pull on the seat.
Then right back to fishing, no problem.

No real need to haul extra gear just in case of seat buckle failure.

I could then keep making fishing trips while the replacement buckles got to me.

CBull